94 Crawler's sas thread #1 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Crawler's sas thread #1

Ok the plan is to go to d44/ 9 inch. This will give me a base to work from for further mods including 3/4 ton front hubs and breaks and a full floating 9". Eventualy the 609/ true Hi9 front I'm daydreaming of. But we must walk befor flight.

So here is the plan. Since I have the d44 and it is a 79 Bronco with cast in wedges, I will be staying with radius arms (extended and thinking of using Johnny Joints rather than hymes). 5.5 wild horses rock crawler springs. 1 ton chevy tre's. Posibly hydro assist. Of corse 4.56 gears and depending on what is in this 9" I'm suposed to look at, choice of locker to come.

I will pull the 35 this weekend and get started .

Here are some pics.
DSC02060.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

DSC02062.JPG

eek :eek:
DSC02069.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok here are the alignment specs. for 79

camber 1.00 degree+ to2.00 degees+:eek:

caster 6.5 degrees+ to 9.5 Degrees +:eek::eek:

toe total -0.08 to0.44 (degree)

My camber is at aprox 2.25 left and right

caster set at 5* at set up probably more due to negitive rake or prerunner stance I hadn't counted on

Toe ? Slightly toe'd in with the eyeball.

I know caster will make one track straighter Which is why you have more on the right side to eliminate pull caused by road crown. So even if I dont have enough caster I dont think that is where my problem is. Talking to a friend of mine (alignment guru) more caster in a jeep will cause death wobble so I'm going to go with less is more.

Guys my Eldorado wasnt this scary and it would toe in at lest 20* when you gut on the gas untill i fixed the idler arm bushing.

scan0001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice work, this is the first time I've really dove back into this thread. I was looking at the photos and didn't even see a trackbar. That's pretty good work when it's painted bright blue and you still can't see it because it's perfectly in line with the steering.

very nice work, this is the first time I've really dove back into this thread. I was looking at the photos and didn't even see a trackbar. That's pretty good work when it's painted bright blue and you still can't see it because it's perfectly in line with the steering.

Thank you Dannyboy :salute:

Now if I can just get all of the bugs out. But realy Its been a long time comming and when I look out in the yard and know I can drive it right or not I feel more like spending time getting those aggrevating little things right.

this is what mine is set at and drives like a dream
100_1191.jpg

this is what mine is set at and drives like a dream
100_1191.jpg

Thanks Mine is around 7*. But I found the problem When I changed the pitman arm I left the nut loose because I needed to ream the hole some more. (If I dont watch it I may have to fire myself)

Again thanks for the input

...:eek: ..Nice save and an easy fix on the pitman nut...:biggthump

Wow, you got lucky. :eek:

I was going to say your alignment specs look good and it should drive great especially with the AT's.

I havent been on for a while. I think I'm going to try to get the camber closer to spec befor i have it aligned on a machine since all they will be able to do is set toe. I'm thinking of getting some 37x12.50 15 SSR's (Super Swamper Radials) I wanted boggers but bias ply+ 70-80 mph = kind of scary. Not to mention the life expectancy is around 10 k miles. I do plan to keep the at's for long trips maby I'll swap them for some mt's at some point. Beyond 35's the posibilities become limited. What do you guys think abought the SSR's

I think swampers are lame, especially biased plys. I ran them one time, never again. They didn't balance for crap, sounded like a freight train on the road, and almost wore out before I got to the trail! For my use, a BFG Mud or a Goodear MTR aired down works great. Drives awesome to the trail, air them down and do awesome on the trail. Then drive home- and they will last a while. My Biased plys chunked, and feathered and just sucked! I have buddies who swear by them, but that was the last set of Swampers I will own.

I would set your toe in with a tape. I would paint and scribe a line on eash tread, then burn an inch measure front and back and toe it in 1/8" to 1/4". I do all of mine like that. I have had too much bad experiences with even the best alignment shops. You know more about your front end geometry then thier average tech. I think those computers weren't around when that front axle rolled off the assembly line!

That diff looks like someone/something took a dump in it

i really like my KM2's:D Ive also head the SSR's have really thin side walls.

Ok I havent posted in quite some time. First off do not do the superduty pitman arm mod the splines are just big enough that they never completly seat properly. THIS MOD WILL KILL YOU ON THE ROAD. That is where my steering slop was coming from. I wanted to post a pic of my lower spring pearch. I did this mod to correct the spring angle which had a forward bow on both sides. Also some pics with my new shoes 37x12.50/15 SSR's These tires ride great on the road. If I have to get a new offroad tire so be it but I an happy with this tire all around right now.

Attachments

• DSC02295.JPG
    DSC02295.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC02292.JPG
    DSC02292.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC02300.JPG
    DSC02300.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC02301.JPG
    DSC02301.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 426

Also my fuel pump was not cutting it so i purchased this from a guy that drag races in the outlaw street class It has one pass on it. It's an aeromotive eliminator pump good to 1600 hp supercharged. It has a no. 12AN inlet and a no. 10AN outlet. This is way overkill but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• DSC02294.JPG
    DSC02294.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 410

Back