94 EB Explorer Air Intake

jaykar

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott Valley AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer- E. B.
Hi,

New to this forum,(Nice Site), and have been looking around for a Air intake setup for the other halfs Explorer.
Live in the mountains and she drives up a few mountains to get to work and would like to get her a few more ponies
under the hood. It looks like the day it came off the line and well taken care of, and is the reason she wants to keep it :D

Don't want to get to carried away and keep the cost down ;)
Can't find the complete kit for the 94-4.0, just 95 and
up. Build date on her Explorer is 11-94 and some say its
probably a 95, but have compared other 94s and is the same.
Any suggestions on the kit?
Am also going to get it chipped and needing new muffler going to go with Flowmaster Cat back.
If can do these three mods should make her happy :thumbsup:
Any help or recommendations apreciated.

Thanks
jaykar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jaykar said:
Hi,

New to this forum,(Nice Site), and have been looking around for a Air intake setup for the other halfs Explorer.
Live in the mountains and she drives up a few mountains to get to work and would like to get her a few more ponies
under the hood. It looks like the day it came off the line and well taken care of, and is the reason she wants to keep it :D

Don't want to get to carried away and keep the cost down ;)
Can't find the complete kit for the 94-4.0, just 95 and
up. Build date on her Explorer is 11-94 and some say its
probably a 95, but have compared other 94s and is the same.
Any suggestions on the kit?
Am also going to get it chipped and needing new muffler going to go with Flowmaster Cat back.
If can do these three mods should make her happy :thumbsup:
Any help or recommendations apreciated.

Thanks
jaykar

Welcome to the site. I suggest you do a search on these terms: MAC Intake
KKM intake and you'll find tons of information. I have a KKM, which is basically just a conical open-element filter. I have gone up into Rockies many times BEFORE and AFTER the intake and it helps my truck a lot up there.

with a build date of 11/94, your truck ought to be a 95. If your truck is rounded-off in the front-end, it's a 95. If it's boxy and square in the front, you have a 94. It would be the latest-built 94 I've ever heard of though.

My 94 was built 11/93 in Lexington, Kentucky.

Intake

Hi,

As to 11-94 build date that is exactly what ford dealership
wondered about yesterday as had to take it in, to set some kind of code for ignition key tumbler had to order
as ign switch starting to get sloppy.

They came out and looked on door jam and original
sticker with 11-94 build date on it. They are going to research it. Have to take it back Wednsday to get it
keyed so ign & doors same key as before. Will find out
then.
It is a 94 front end.
Why won't the 95 intake setup work on the 94? :(

later
jaykar

Why won't the 95 intake setup work on the 94?

The 94 and the 95 have an entire differnet setup under there. Battery is in a differnt place... isnt the 95 like a SOHC set up? the 91-94 is a pushrod setup

There are plenty of places to get stuff, ill give ya some links. Personally i think you should get the 66mm throttle body first $220 (garenteed to put some extra ponies under there, worth the money). You can go with the KKM, but its 100 bucks for a filter, JC whitney had the same thing for like 20 bucks, and if you want some bling bling under there (or you have intake leaks in the stock tubing like me) go with the iFab intake, it comes with Filter and tubing.

Pro-M makes a MAF, but you dont need this right away, i noticed a small difference when i first put it on (mainly sound and freeness in the RPM range) but its not worth the $200 until you get a chip.

iFab Intake
http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html

KKM Filter
www.Kustomz.com

BBK throttle Body / Pro-M MAF (Both on same page)
http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/stage2v6.html

jaykar said:
Why won't the 95 intake setup work on the 94? :(

later
jaykar

Because in 95 Ford changed the way the truck is arranged under the hood. The 95+ way is better, if you ask me, because it locates the air filter where the battery is on our trucks.
With our trucks, the air filter is located near the engine (more heat = bad).

If you are going in the mountains, you will have to remember that your Explorer only has 160 horsepower, stock, so you're not going to do well in the mountains. That's a simple fact you will have to get used to. People with V8's will blow by you.

But you can do what the guy said in the previous post: a larger throttle body, larger MAF, air intake, and exhaust, and chip, and you'll be doing a lot better. I have all those mods and it really helps me when I go on I-70 west from Denver, Co. Even so, I don't push it too hard and the truck only likes to go 50 mph on the steepest grades leading up to the Eisenhower Tunnel.

i fab.net makes one, but its easier and cheaper to make your own, ive done that to mine, but how much are you looking to spend? there are a lot of other items that might give you extra power

Air Intake

Hi,
Appreciate all the replies and am going to think this out.
Not trying to turn this into a racer but just most bang for the buck.
She better not try to race V8s on the way to work ;)
Contacted Bama chips and he was very, nice explaining
that in those years cost versus gains not real good on
new chip. Appreciate that in a vendor!! :thumbsup:
Contacted Ifab and he said they have an intake for the 91-94s. But also read on this forum that the intake tube smaller than stock with this setup. Also read here that can get a 95 intake tube and make your own using a K&N filter.
Will look into that. Suggestions appreciated on that!!
Begginning to think that home made intake and Flowmaster Cat back only mods within 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
Also contacted Aussie lockers and going to get their locker
for the rear when they are available here. We sometimes get in trouble up here when off road and in the winter.
Just worry she doesn't understand when you accelerate
under power in a turn when slick with a locker could have a control problem.
Have had many a race car, Now 510HP Show car-Iroc, and she has seen the results.

Helpful board and appreciate suggestions and info :D

Thanks
jaykar
Irocing on the F-Body forums.

Keep in mind, if you use a 95 intake tube, you'll have to re-locate your battery, because the 95+ tube will go right where your battery is...

Intake

Hi,

As to relocating battery will have to take another look under there and see i practible or worth the cabling
hassle. :(
This is turning into a project. ;)
Think I'll Browse Tru-Value or Ace and see what I can
come up with as to tubing.
Ex-Racer
Had to fabricate.

jaykar

to tell you the truth, check your stock intake tubing. If there are no crackes (esspecially in the areas that are kinda bellowed out) then dont replace it, the stock one is just fine.

If you make your own i recommend using something other then metal. If at so possible use plastic, since plastic doesnt heat up as much in extreme heat... since heat = loss of horsepower

Start out with the KKM filter and the BBK throttle body, get the 70mm MAF if you so desire, but you wont get its full function (except, logically more air flow) until you get a chip

Intake

Hi,
I think what I'll do,(When quits raining and snowing), is
get some PVC, straights and elbows as large or larger than
stock intake.
Just have to fab tube to MAF setup. If I go this route will
just remove air cleaner box and end filter there. Could move battery and cold air it out the front but not worth it.

If can't get 40 to 50 HP out of all this, going fabricated intake and cat back and buy her an air freshener to hang
off the mirror. ;)
Thanks
jaykar

And like the man at Bama chips said, not a whole lot you can do with these years chip setup. :(

you are gonna want to be very conservative with your HP expectations. While the mods mentioned will help, you would probably be dissappointed with the changes on a dyno. Alot of what is helped in my opinion is throttle response rather than raw horse power. I have a '91 and have had a chip, intake (homefabbed), MAF (homefabbed), and the 66mm tb. waiting on the rust to eat away my exhaust so i can upgrade that instead of using stock again.

used an apten chip for awhile but ultimately determined it wasn't worth the extra gas money. Used the TB and really liked the response from it but ended up getting rid of it when i got rid of the chip. would put one of those back on for the right price.

Still using the intake and MAF though. truck does fine most of the time but occasionaly does still feel under powered. Came to the conclusion i could keep throwing money at it and probably would never get the raw power i wanted (is ever enough really though). Thats why i sold off the items that were purchased and currnetly only running the ones i made myself.

while not related to HP, if you are running the automatic trans. you may want to slap an aux cooler on it. heat can kill that thing before to long especially running up long grades. An aux filter setup is also very nice to have.

PS:they do make a blower for the 4.0L

Yeah like he said, dont expect much, definatly not 50, with those mods.

Cylinderhead/Lower intake porting/polishing will get the 50 hp gain you want... it will really wake up your 94. If ya know how to do that i mean. check this page out... porting your heads is easy and is a great upgrade (probably the best for the money...)

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

If you want MORE i would reccomend a rebuild with 410 comp cams, that will get you around the 220-250 hp range

plus headers and high-flow cats (you cant run a striaght pipe on these trucks or you will loose all the torque it does have)

if ya really really really wanna spend money and get it running great, go with the 5.0 haha.

but it is possible, with ported heads and headers, you will get much more bang out of your buck going with a chip

Intake

Hi,

Think intake setup and catback way to go.
Going for Transpac kit in the tranny as these tranny's
were worse than junk.
Already has the B&M cooler in the front along with the
inline filter setup and guage.

Fiqure also with the Flowmaster 40 Cat back will be
a little louder and she will think she's moving rite along. :eek:
May just run No cats and straight to Flowmaster.

Thats a nice Explorer you got there and ours is just as clean. EB with all the options. Same interior as yours .
Ours is White and lite brown trim.

Gotta get this project done so can get back to the Show car.
Thanks for help. :D
jaykar

May just run No cats and straight to Flowmaster.

i dont recommend that

i second not recommending getting rid of the cats.

It really won't gain you anything from a performance stand point but will help to take a shot on the enviro. Not a tree hugger here, but there is really no reason to go that route on these vehicles.

removing the cats will remove all your torque. These engines rely on back-pressure for torque

you will gain HP...

but no torque on an explorer?

you will be jugging along slower then you orginally started out

trust me, i tried this before

it didnt take long until i bolted the cats back up

jaykar said:
Hi,

Think intake setup and catback way to go.
jaykar

Go with the KKM intake and exhaust and be done with it. Add the TB if you all want to spend the $200 on that. Otherwise, KKM + exhaust (2.5" single out pipe) will get you the most bang for the buck. Best mods you can do on this truck for <$250 total.

And about getting an extra 40-50 hp...you will not be able to do that on the 4.0 OHV engine with simple bolt on mods and a chip. Approx 190 hp at the engine is what you'll dyno...that's 30 hp over stock. That's with chip, MAF, 66mm throttle body, KKM intake, Magnaflow exhaust.

To get more than that you'd have to do some porting and polishing as was said...or get a supercharger.

Intake

Hi,
Okay on the Cats;
Am going to get 1 Hi-Flow Cat and the Flowmaster setup.
Always keep my motors in total tune.

Already ordered the Cat and Flowmaster setup.
As to porting and bowl work have been doing this for a long
long time. Have all my own equipment for this.

But!, like I said am not going to get all that into the motor
other than externals. If I feel it has lost a little torque will
add another Cat to the system. Really don't know what these motors like or dislike as am into the BB & Sb V-8
motors.
If I want to go really, really fast, I go out in the shop and
start a 3rd Gen Iroc waiting for spring to get here. :fire:
This is for the better half.

Really appreciate all the help :D
Later
jaykar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am going to get 1 Hi-Flow Cat and the Flowmaster setup.

Ya still gotta get too

Back