94 eddie 4x4 tranny slips ONLY when cold outside untill warmed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 eddie 4x4 tranny slips ONLY when cold outside untill warmed up

Anubis_4_99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB
recently since its started getting colder i've noticed something with my x that i wanna try and get fixed so it doesnt turn into something bigger.

its a 94 eddie 4x4

ONLY when its cold outside (like below 45-50) the tranny slips.

it doesnt slip like its still in gear and just barely catching.

when it slips, it stops moving, completely, then when it stops slipping it kicks like it would when you shift it into drive.

almost feels like its kicking into and back out of neutral.

my fluid level is good, and if i take the time to warm it up so it registers on the temp gauge, it doesnt do it.

so thats what i've been doing, but i want to get it sorted out before winter hits full force here.

any ideas let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just realized i posted this in modified section.

sorry, if a mod could please move to the appropriate section i would appriate it

when was the last rebuild? you might try a transmission flush. and maybe an additive on top of that. before i had my transmission rebuilt, it would slip as well, but not nearly as much as yours. obviously, the rebuild solved the problem. but thats a rather costly solution.

if no other solution comes forward i'll either rebuild it or replace it.

but i just find it odd that it only does it in cold weather. and it will only do it twice for about 10 seconds each time then kick in like its being shifted into gear.

flushing is the last thing i want to do though. if the tranny is shot flushing it will simply clean it and make it slip more.

i drive this thing at least a hundred miles every other day. yesterday i put 200 on it. it didnt slip in the morning because i let it warm up so it registered on the temp gauge, and didnt slip all day after that either.

also something else i noticed, completely off topic but my tires are wearing fast on the inside like a lowered honda would, and my tires are kicked in like this

/ \

Alignment..NOW!! Believe me those tires will wear very fast at that camber. Check tie rods, ball joints and bearings if the alignment doesn't stick.

Also my tranny does the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have 159K on mine. Runs fine in the summer, kicks a little in the winter. Just let the fluid warm up and you will be fine.

ok i'll just let her register before i take off in the mornings.

as for the tires, i've put 5K on them and they are just now balding. but i'll take it in when i get paid this week and get that done and see what they have to say

Alignment..NOW!! Believe me those tires will wear very fast at that camber. Check tie rods, ball joints and bearings if the alignment doesn't stick.

Also my tranny does the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have 159K on mine. Runs fine in the summer, kicks a little in the winter. Just let the fluid warm up and you will be fine.

My alignment is off on my ex, only the passenger side front is off. Tires have less then 4k miles on them and that one tire has a little extra wear on it. I think it's caused by my bad passenger side RA bracket. RA bushings were replaced recently so was that RA.

As for your transmission problem, did you check the fluid level? It may not be caused by the cooler temps but a bad transmission modulator, The part costs under $15. Mine was bad and when they are bad it's kinda like your ex is drinking tranny fluid because it gets sucked through the vacuum line into your intake.

It's possible ;)

My trans no longer slips or anything, 185,x.. miles stock and still going and with my butt behind the wheel that is really saying something. :D

As for your alignment I would get that checked out. Mine is not nearly as bad as yours, it just makes my driving look like that of a nearly intoxicated driver but not that bad. :p:

My alignment is off on my ex, only the passenger side front is off. Tires have less then 4k miles on them and that one tire has a little extra wear on it. I think it's caused by my bad passenger side RA bracket. RA bushings were replaced recently so was that RA.

As for your transmission problem, did you check the fluid level? It may not be caused by the cooler temps but a bad transmission modulator, The part costs under $15. Mine was bad and when they are bad it's kinda like your ex is drinking tranny fluid because it gets sucked through the vacuum line into your intake.

It's possible ;)

My trans no longer slips or anything, 185,x.. miles stock and still going and with my butt behind the wheel that is really saying something. :D

As for your alignment I would get that checked out. Mine is not nearly as bad as yours, it just makes my driving look like that of a nearly intoxicated driver but not that bad. :p:

I don't lose tranny fluid in mine. The level stays constant.

my tranny is also slippin exactly like that. my explorer has about 204k...it takes some time to warm up in the morning when its cold outside. it'll stay in first gear only. wont shift into second, unless i manually do it on the column. after about 10-15m of driving the tranny will shift normally while in Drive. Weird.. gotta be the first gen's.

It's the A4LD's. I personally would like to run a M5OD, but with all my in town driving it would be a hard deal.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe the A4LD has been known to have valve body issues and this may be the problem manifest. The valves in the valve body dont move freely until the unit warms up along with the fluid hence no more issues after the vehicle is hot. Though it might be the pump as well I doubt it because if it was it would most likely have problems all the time. A new or rebuild on the valve body should make the problems go away.

my tranny is also slippin exactly like that. my explorer has about 204k...it takes some time to warm up in the morning when its cold outside. it'll stay in first gear only. wont shift into second, unless i manually do it on the column. after about 10-15m of driving the tranny will shift normally while in Drive. Weird.. gotta be the first gen's.

You probably have a governor problem. Mine does that, though not for so long, but it won't want to shift into second in the morning until it warms up.

Back