• Register Today It's free!

94 ex overheating issues

94explorerEB

Reaction score
City, State
auburn, alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt 4x4
Hey guys, ok I just got the ex and since I got it its tried to overheat alot its never gotten HOT but to the AL in NORMAL. Mostly at speeds 45 and lower. It had a leaking radiator so I got a new radiator, and replaced the thermostat with a new one. Well it was still trying to overheat and I started to smell the sweet smell of anitfreeze. So this past weekend I did the gaskets from the heads up. Its still trying to over heat.... Then I got a new water pump monday got it on and at first that seemed to do the trick. But the same problem came back. Oh and when I replaced the radiator I flushed the system as well there was rusty looking water in it. I'm down to the clutch fan, hoses, and heater core being the only things I havn't replaced. Any ideal, I'm leaning towards clutch fan maybe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you still leaking fluid? Did you replace the radiator cap? Is the Gaige steady or does it fluctuate?

Does the fan spin up? You might try a aftermarket temp gauge. Might be that the stock one is off. Or pick up a new temp sensor. Could swap in a junkyard sensor and see what happes.

As far as I know, no I'm not leaking anymore fluid. I have not replaced the cap, and the gauge does fluctuate from the RM in NORMAL to the AL in normal. My last 2 explorers didn't do this niether does my mazda B4000 their temp gauges didn't move it just stayed in the middle of the RM of NORMAL.

A had a similar problem except the gauge went from the N to the L on the gauge about once a minute no matter whether I was idling or on the highway. I replaced the temp sending unit and burped the system. Now it fluctuates only slightly off dead center.

I'm going to burp the system tomorrow to see if that helps any.

Ok I burped to system and that didn't work either. So I got a new blade and fan clutch we'll see what happens. It seems to start getting hot when coming to a stop or slowing down

What thermostat do you have in there? When I got mine it had a 200 in there and hovered right around the same temp as yours, but just recently I replaced it with a 170 as a precaution for our vacation to the mountains in 2 weeks. It now stays right around the high side of NO on the gauge.

Ok the new fan clutch didn't do the trick either :thumbdwn:. I believe its a 195 thermostat maybe and its one from ford not the autozone cheapo. And today while helping a buddy, I let the truck just idle while we were working(ruffly 20min). So when I got back in it was over to the L in NORMAL. I don't know what else to do?

You might want to replace the temp sending unit. My gauge used to fluctuate from N to L constantly. Replacing the temp sender resolved the issue.

Ok I'll pick one up at ford this friday. I did notice when doing the gaskets that the wire to the sending unit was frayed(one wire sensor right?). I rubbed some black rvt sealer over the frayed part as a temperary fix I gotta get to one the JY and pick up a replacment. I'm also gonna get some more flush and flush it again.

The one wire sensor goes to the gauge.

Back