• Register Today It's free!

94 exhaust questions/suggestions

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
I just returned home from a local exhaust place. I stopped in to ask for a price on a flowmaster 40 for my explorer. The worker there said it's $125 installed or I could get a super V for $75 installed.

He then went on to explain that the super V is a series 40 flowmaster but is not stamped with the flowmaster brand name. He also told me he has put the super V's on his trucks for years. Has anyone else heard this before? Should I look at different brands also?

I don't want rice rocket sounding exhaust. I want something that sounds good, Looks good and has a nice deep rich tone to it. Mines kinda quite at the moment.

let me know what you guys think. I think this fellow makes more off the super V then the series 40. But I could be wrong and he could just have been honest with me. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The muffler he suggested is just a Flowmaster knockoff. It is made similar and likely sounds close to the same, its just made in China and not a real Flowmaster. Go with what you want, they will likely sound and perform the same.

It's not going to sound good with anything on it because it's a v6 , lol.

The muffler he suggested is just a Flowmaster knockoff. It is made similar and likely sounds close to the same, its just made in China and not a real Flowmaster. Go with what you want, they will likely sound and perform the same.

Thanks for the information. I will do some searching and keep an eye out for American made products. With the way the world is I'm happier knowing my money stay's in the US to help us out :)

It's not going to sound good with anything on it because it's a v6 , lol.

I've heard some nice sounding V6's so you should look (listen) around some. My father a 1983 S-10 Tahoe with a 2.8 and it sounds great for being only a V6. A buddy of mine has a 96 taco with a V6 and prefers the sound of the flow master 40 on it then the 50 series. :D

Now will my explorer sound like the 92 GMC with true dual's, 350 V8(that I was reported of stealing)? Maybe but most likely not. I was arrested years ago while driving that truck, The arresting officer also charged me with fleeing just because the loud exhaust made it sound as if I was "flooring it in an attempt to flee" as his version of the report stated. I was giving it no more then 1/4 throttle at that time.

I've seen people dump tons of money into explorer exhausts and it still come out sounding like a minivan with a hole in the muffler.

The engine just isn't big enough to make a good low throaty noise , that and the 6 cylinder cycle just isn't the right sound. The majority of loud v8's on the road are usually purposely loud , there deeper sound is more common and associated with being powerful. But the majority of loud v6's on the road are usually associated with exhaust leaks , because v6's are typically in non powerful/non interesting cars.

If you saw an old v6 suv going down the road with a loud exhaust you wouldn't immediately think "wow it's powerful and modded" you would think "the muffler probably fell off by now".

I mean you can do what you like but I'm just saying it's best saved for a better car.

I've had many people comment on the exhaust on our X, as to how they like the tone..

Its a stock motor, with 2.5" exhaust from the collector to the cat and the 2.25 (IIRC) to a flowmaster 40 muffler, and then out the back (stock location). The cat was moved rearword about 12 inches..

I'll see if I can dig up an exhaust clip.. If I can't. I'll record one again..

~Mark

Likewise. A lot of people ask me about mine now that I have it dumped before the axle. I run stock cats, stock pipe, flowmaster 40 with a turndown off the muffler, sounds beast at idle.

In just a month I've had about 4-5 people ask me what I've done to make an Explorer sound like it does. I'm working on a video clip, I got a new digital camera so I'll figure out how the video function works.

Now I'm stuck on what I might do. Either work towards a good sounding exhaust or research on dropping in a 5.4L Triton V8 from a late 90's F-150. :)

In the future I do plan for my explorer to be a pure off road toy. So at that time a SAS and a V8 would be nice additions. Maybe go back in time and get an older V8 with a trans and T/C that will work with it and get rid of the computer, Run all new wiring.

Maybe find me a explorer sport and spent someones life savings on planting an LS1 or LS6 in it. :D

Talk about a sleeper ;)

*pinches himself so he will wake up* ouch :(

Back