94 explorer 302 crate swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer 302 crate swap

94explorer/

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
okay so im looking to swap the 4.0 v6 out of my 94 explorer for a 302 ford crate motor just wondring if anyone know s some problems i may run into wiring problems or motor mounts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a straight bolt in

It is NOT a straight bolt in, you need motor mounts from a 2nd gen V8, a trans for the 5.0, and if you want to go fuel injected you will need a pcm and complete harness from a 2nd gen V8 and a 4r70w transmission. Being a crate engine i would assume it is carb'd, so the simplest trans would be a c-6 as they require no electronics. I would also run an MSD type ignition setup, as it will be easier to wire. Most of the factory engine harness could be removed except for what is needed to run the ignition system and accessories that you keep.

Haha man comon I know - It's this guys first post the least he can do is search there are 100's of threads with identical questions to what he is asking

Haha man comon I know - It's this guys first post the least he can do is search there are 100's of threads with identical questions to what he is asking

still no reason to give false information, next time suggest the search function

It is NOT a straight bolt in, you need motor mounts from a 2nd gen V8, a trans for the 5.0, and if you want to go fuel injected you will need a pcm and complete harness from a 2nd gen V8 and a 4r70w transmission. Being a crate engine i would assume it is carb'd, so the simplest trans would be a c-6 as they require no electronics. I would also run an MSD type ignition setup, as it will be easier to wire. Most of the factory engine harness could be removed except for what is needed to run the ignition system and accessories that you keep.

do the 2nd gen v8 motor mounts work with all ford 5.0's? like one from an older f150/mustang?

where do i buy the ranger swap mounts? i've always wanted to attemp the swap but i hate having to get custum one off stuff made so the mounts have held me back..... i've done lots of research and it seams the swap doesnt require any custum pieces to be made and all the parts needed can be baught new or from a junk yard right?

a quick google search will find the swap mounts, but reading threads here will give you all the answers you need

i knew i would have to change the tranny looking for one still and yes the crate motor is carbed dont want fuel injected

James duff also has them.

Sent from my crap Sidekick using Forum Runner

Back