'94 Explorer... 4HI=yes, 4LO=no *Help* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer... 4HI=yes, 4LO=no *Help*

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
I tried to research this problem but wasn't able to find anything similar to may help.

This is the history...I swapped out the auto transmission from my '94 Explorer for a 5 speed and swapped transmission harnesses, but left the original ECM in it. I wouldn't bet me life on it, but I'm pretty sure that before I started the swap, the xfer case would go into 4LO when I pushed the button. Now, the xfer case will only go into 4HI. I checked the transmission harness to make sure the correct wires complete the NEUTRAL circuit.

What could cause this?

Just to verify... with an auto transmission, doesn't the vehicle need to in PARK or NEUTRAL before the xfer case will shift into 4LO?

The ECM wouldn't have anything to do with this does it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a neutral safety switch from the auto that you need to bypass....search around and look at the other auto to manual swaps and you should figure it out.

Are you talking about the Neutral Safety Switch on the clutch pedal because I've got that working.

As for the Grey connector on the driver inner fender well for the transmission harness, the pink and red/lt blue wires are completing the circuit.

Thanks...keep 'em coming.

No....there is one that worked with the auto so it would only shift into 4low in neutral. That is the one that needs to be bypassed.

Is it the gear selector switch on the side of the transmission?

Does the neutral safety switch need to be bypassed, or does it simply need to be tied into the clutch pedal position switch he now has on it? I suspect the two systems fed the same input into the transfer case controls... Don't have a schematic to confirm it though... sorry.

-Joe

Back