94 Explorer 4WD front bearing repeated failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer 4WD front bearing repeated failure

Cosmodog

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi,

New here but not new to installing bearings. But mine keep going bad on this Dana 35 front axle with ABS. The last failure got really exciting with the wheel coming off on a mountain road. It was obvious that the bearing had overheated and seized. I use high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease and set the preload by tightening the bearing until it stops then backing it off 1/4 turn. Any suggestions for grease, preload setting or anything else? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have automatic hubs? If so, maybe you should switch to a set of manual hubs as they use the old locking nut and washer that is on many Ford trucks. When I had auto hubs, I would tighten the nut a little past where it stops, then rotate the hub back and forth to seat the bearings, then loosen, then do it again a few more times. There must be a hundred related threads here

What size tires, and what rim width and offset?

The correct torque is 150 ftlbs, then back off 1/4 turn, the tighten to 16 inch lbs., a little more if your run 33s or bigger.

The correct torque is 150 ftlbs, then back off 1/4 turn, the tighten to 16 inch lbs., a little more if your run 33s or bigger.
Isn't that just for manual hubs?

Oh yeah, you’re right. I only have ever had manuals and just assume everyone else does too. ;)
I can look up the specs for autos if the OP needs it...

Back