94 Explorer ABS- light on dash, abs dysfunctional, pump cycles on startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer ABS- light on dash, abs dysfunctional, pump cycles on startup

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
ABS light came on randomly a few weeks ago, haven't done any brake work in a while.
Standard Operating Procedure for the pesky ABS light is to hit a dirt road on the way home and lock up the tires, but this time it didn't work... i just slid to a stop.

No biggie, it can wait until I fix the misfire.
Ha, no biggie my ass.

Today in the Oreillys parking lot I pressed the pedal and fired it up as normal, but felt a pop in the pedal and the ABS pump cycled, then the light came on again. Odd, I thought, so I tried the dirt road thing again to no avail, thought to hell with it and locked up the wheels on asphalt, no use.
I even tried locking up the wheels then starting it while the pump was cycling, no change.

Where do I start? Going out to check the fluid level as I speak, but when that's low its a separate light on the dash.
Any fuses? Test procedures? I really have no idea where to start.

That help?

That help?
Man, that thread was a life saver.
Code pulled was either a 56 or 67, not entirely sure how to count them... no matter, I'll just check resistance on the front right speed sensor (56), and if it checks out, I'll have to break out the pocket book for a $200 pump(67).
That can all wait till I fix the misfire, but I better get it done before the snow falls lol.

Don't forget to consider the testing/cleaning harnesses too. Any corrosion in harness connectors can increase electrical resistance and cause voltage drops.

Back