94 Explorer - Bump Steer and Wander | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer - Bump Steer and Wander

drewbay641

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
I own a 94 Explorer with 7 inches of lift (no body). I used a 6 inch Skyjacker lift kit with all the right parts (or so I think) up front, and flipped the rear axle under the rear axle with blocks and extended shackles. I had the front end aligned at a local truck shop. Every thing seems tight in the front suspension. The truck wanders and bump steers on the street. Its a daily driver, not a show truck. Any ideas? Thanks, Adrian:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see if the angle of your steering tie rods are at a down angle to the knuckles from the Pitman arm off the power steering pump. IF so, you need to have, at least a drop pitman arm, IIRC Skyjackers makes a 6" FA600(?) that should get you close. The amount of lift you have indicates you may need more than this to completely cure bump steer.

I had definite bump steer with just a 2" lift, as shown by a non parallel angle of the steering linkage to the axle, dropping down from the stock pitman arm. Once corrected, there is no angle in the tie rods to the knuckles and no bumpsteer. I'd love to have gone with a pre-runner set up, but that isn't needed for my occasional off road/DD use, so the drop pitman arm was the route I went.

How did you get 7 inches from a 6 inch lift??:scratch:but liked its been said you probably have the fa400.its what comes in lift kits, your need the fa600 but more than likely if its wondering they didnt get the alignment right and with ""7"" inches of lift you are right at the max where it can be aligned. . (Depending on tire size)

Show us a pic of your steering set up

Thanks for responding. I used a 4 foot level to see how much down angle. It is at least 2 1/2 inches. I am using a Skyjacker pitman arm off the steering box for a 6 inch lift, but its just not enough. I am thinking of sending the arm to a rod shop in california that drops stock ford I beam axles. I think it can be heated and stretched without loosing temper by someone who knows what they are doing. The alternative is to use a 97 Explorer rack and pinion steering box, but I would have to build a dropped bracket. Thanks again, Adrian

I added 1 1/2 inch F150 spring spacers up front to get a 7 inch lift. After flipping the rear axle under the rear springs and shackles, it had a definate nose down attitude, so I added the spring spacers up front. I am almost out of camber adjustment - its got more negative camber than stock which probably contributes to the problem. Thanks for responding, Adrian

I will upload pics over the weekend. How do I make them public? Thanks, Adrian

Attach the img code in your post.I use photobucket

Back