94 explorer clicking/clunking front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer clicking/clunking front end

Ratboytek

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sup guys,

Ive recently had alot of problems witht he front end. After having excessive vibration and play in my wheels and shot brake pads i recently replaced my Ujoints, Ball joints (upper+lower)on (passenger side), Both Brake Rotors, Both wheel bearings (passenger/driver), both seals(on new rotors), new brake pads. Everything was great for a day now ig et a clicking/clunking noise on ym drivers side front end. You can hear it and feel it during low speeds. It goes away on the highway or when driving fast. It doesnt have any effect on the driving of the car but its annoying as hell. Could it be the auto hubs? When i engage 4x4 i hear a click and the light goes on but either way you can hear the clicking near the wheel during low speeds. Also ive yet to replace my ball joints on the drivers side but it makes this noise even when im not turning. I'd like to say the clicking gets worse when turning but. What about the axle? any help would be appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely it is the Radius Arm Bushing.... do you feel it kinda under your feet?

Here is the radius arm, the bushing area is right under the driver's feet.

15286DSCN5400.jpg

This one is bad, see the area around the bushing....you should not see it. These are hard to daignose, they can LOOK fine and be shjt. Noise is your first alert.

15286DSCN5399.jpg

There are some good threads on replacing these.

Hey I get that! especially when stopping or accelerating or going over bumps or making sharp turns. . its like a churning sound and I can feel it in my feet sometimes

Thanx for the pics!

Same problem

I replaced the RAB's on my 92 XLT to hopefully alleviate this problem, but to no avail. I then went on to my wheel bearings, and still nothing. This noise has been driving me insane for months.

Back