94 Explorer Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Bracket

scottmi

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Callsign
W7SLM
Hello,
My 94 Explorer XLT has factory installed cruise control. Recently, the "Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Bracket" (Part No. 9C962 - now obsolete and unavailable) broke and fell off the brake pedal arm. I have epoxied it back together, and will probably fiberglass around it to add durability, but for the life of me, I cannot see how it should be properly reinstalled and what or how it would affect anything.

Ford parts diagram page P-27214 02/15/2002 (below) shows it hanging off the brake pedal hinge pin, but there is nothing intuitive there when I look and try to "see" it in place.

It is a black plastic part about 4 inches long, located somewhere up above the stop lamp switch (attached to the brake pedal pin that connects to the master cylinder shaft).
Can anyone who knows, describe for me and/or if you have a similar Explorer with the stock (vacuum controlled) cruise control, could you take and post/send me a picture of up behind the pedals, showing this part as it should be installed? Thank You!

Ford_9C962_Cruise_Control_Deactivation_Switch_Bracket.jpg

Of course, I did figure out how to reinstall the Bracket after another couple examinations. Also had to reinforce the broken part (epoxy didn't hold on it's own--absolutely shattered apart when it just looked at fitting in the first time tried ;-) with a piece of wood, epoxied and pop-riveted in several places..and some strapping tape around the lock/clip to hold it somewhat.

And it worked! Got it installed back in place, and it does it's job of holding in a pushbutton switch, which is the Cruise Control Deactivation Switch, when brake is not being pressed. When you press the brake pedal, the bracket drops away from the switch, letting it out, and cancelling the cruise control.

I found that without the switch being held in (by the Bracket) my cruise control would not engage at all. So, you do need to have this installed to use the cruise system.

My hacked repair I consider temporary, so will troll some junkyards when I am able to find an unbroken Bracket to have on hand if/when my 'fix' decides to quit.

Keepin' rollin'!

Back