94 Explorer DTC 556 help | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

94 Explorer DTC 556 help

jimbrown12

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I have a 94 EB and am getting a KOEO DTC of 556 . This is listed as fuel pump relay primary circuit fault . I immeadiately replaced the fuel pump relay . Still getting the code . Truck starts and runs fine . When I initially start the truck there is no light , after 5 to 10 minutes the check engine light comes back on . I've read a few posts which seem to say that if the truck is running and a relay doesnt do the tirick then the fuel pump is getting old and loosing pressure causing voltage to drop or spike ( not sure which ) . I intend to rent a pressure gauge from Oreilly this weekend and check pressures with engine on and off . Just wnated to know if anyone has had this problem and what fixed it . Thanks in advance ... Happy 4th

Jim Brown

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Could be something wierd, but my experience with these codes is that it either takes a full open or a short to ground for the computer to set the code. As a KOEO code, that circuit fault has to exist at the time you performed the test. Fuel pressure test might be useful, but I think there would be more to be learned with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram. Fuel pump circuit is a pretty basic DC circuit. Don't forget that the fault could be between the PCM and the point where the fuel pump monitor circuit ties into the fuel pump circuit.

jimbrown12

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Thanks ! So sounds like an electrical problem . I'll try but I'm not real good with those . Good news is there's a couple of good shops in town .