94 explorer E.B edition; left break light dosnt work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer E.B edition; left break light dosnt work

tony82

Reaction score
City, State
texas fort worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer EB edi
The left break light works sometimes, and sometimes it dosnt light up, i have replaced the bulb and exchanged the connector the bulb sits on and still its malfunctioning , can anybody help?

I was told it might be the combo switch

1994 ford explorer eddie bauer edition

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have someone stand behind the car while you press the brake and jiggle the multifunction switch (turn signals). Chances are, that's the problem. They're cheap to replace and fix issues like that.

Look up SM487 on eBay.

I had the same problem . When my turn signal switch would not return to center one of my break lights would not work . I could bump my switch to center & the brake light would work . I would get a new multi function switch & put it in . You will need to pull the steering wheel to change it . Not to bad of a job . :D You can search the forums to find a thread on how to do this job .

gmbroy, I don't see why you would need to pull the steering wheel. My Ex was stolen and is missing the plastic around the steering wheel column but, to me, it looks like the screws that hold the plastic on also hold the multifunction switch in place. Since I'm missing that cover, I drilled and tapped the two holes in the column and ran screws in.

I can get a few pictures if need be.

you just have to pull off the plastic around the column and pull the two or three screws that hold it in disconnect it and switch it out, had to do it in my 92 thunderbird, shouldnt take too long.

If you have a 1991-1994 ex you will need to pull the steering wheel to change the multifunction switch . then you need to squeeze the upper extension shroud at the top & bottom to take it off the steering column . then you remove the shroud attachment screws , the you remove the lower shroud , then the upper . , watch the positioning of the grommet for the horn connector , then you remove the multifunction screws, then the connectors . on 1995 & later models you do not have to remove the steering wheel . :salute:

If you have a 1991-1994 ex you will need to pull the steering wheel to change the multifunction switch . then you need to squeeze the upper extension shroud at the top & bottom to take it off the steering column . then you remove the shroud attachment screws , the you remove the lower shroud , then the upper . , watch the positioning of the grommet for the horn connector , then you remove the multifunction screws, then the connectors . on 1995 & later models you do not have to remove the steering column . :salute:

I have a 91 and my left turn signal is not working also. New bulb and it also doesnt look like the multifunction switch.

Yes I understand that BUT tony82 said his works sometimes & sometimes it doesn't . That is the same problem I had & it was the switch . I am pretty sure he has already changed the bulb as I had also . You were lucky & just had a shot bulb . you should send me that brush guard you picked up at the JY for a july 4th present !!!! :D hows the weather in la ??

Yes I understand that BUT tony82 said his works sometimes & sometimes it doesn't . That is the same problem I had & it was the switch . I am pretty sure he has already changed the bulb as I had also . You were lucky & just had a shot bulb . you should send me that brush guard you picked up at the JY for a july 4th present !!!! :D hows the weather in la ??
Its been hot in the 90s

Yea it is getting warm here in Orange VA also . Went to truck & tractor pull last nite . Would have hooked my ex to the sled but was scared I would tear the sled in half . !!LOL If you have trouble with your rear window cables you can change them over to a 1995-2001 set up . works great & no more cables . I know you like the JY's . Great place to go . :salute:

Yea it is getting warm here in Orange VA also . Went to truck & tractor pull last nite . Would have hooked my ex to the sled but was scared I would tear the sled in half . !!LOL If you have trouble with your rear window cables you can change them over to a 1995-2001 set up . works great & no more cables . I know you like the JY's . Great place to go . :salute:

California is hurting for rain. This drought sucks. Wish the government would build a pipeline to channel water from the flooding states to the dry states.

Is there a thread for replacing the multi switch on a 1st gen? How about a video?

I'll try to get you some pictures tomorrow, maybe give you an idea on what's required.

This might give you an idea:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/2014-06-26 15.49.55.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/2014-06-26 15.50.16.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/2014-06-26 15.50.31.jpg

I'm missing the plastic surrounding the steering column (thanks to theft) so I drilled out the 2 mounting holes and tapped them for screws. You can see them in the pictures, I used allen headed screws. In the back are 2 large electrical connections, they are kind of difficult to get on/off and you need to make sure that the wires are firmly pushed into them when you re-connect. It's a fairly easy replacement, not much technical ability required.

Back