• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer egr ?

stx4.0

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
I just bought a really nice 94 sport and it has the california 4.0 with the egr crap on it.Since I have access to several parts explorers I was curious how hard it would be to change it over to the the 49 state version.I was thinking all I have to do is change out the intake manifold,exhaust manifold and computer but there might be something else I havent thought of.Will I be able to keep my engine harness or will I have to change it as well?I was thinking once the computer is changed I would be able to leave the camshaft position sensor unplugged but It may be more involved than that.Any ideas or suggestions on this subject would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

93' and 94's all have EGR it's not a cal. thing.

91' and 92's came both ways.

In 1995 all auto manufacturer's were required to meet the same OBDII and emissions standards no matter where the car was to be sold.

The EGR system will give you little trouble.

It does have a weakness in the DPFE sensor. I have to replace mine about every 4-6 months but it was $65.00 with a lifetime warranty so they just keep feed'n me new ones for free. And it literally takes 2 minutes to replace.

I bought a second one for a trail spare.

Thats not true...i have several 93 and 94 explorers/rangers both 93 and 94 and none of them have that egr setup.Just this 94 explorer that i recently bought.Now I will agree it is not just a california thing since any dealer in any state could order it on the engine if they wanted to with california being mandatory but as far as ford tech goes they call it the cali engine with and 49 state without..same with the engine computers.As far as not giving any trouble that is not the point..it is all the clutter they add to the engine putting it on there plus the cam pos sensor is garbage it doesnt need and something I dont want to ever have to mess with.

Late 93s and all 94s have EGR. It's not a cali thing.

I haven't really had any issue with any of my emissions equipment fail, personally... DPFE sensor when I got one of my Explorers but that was over 40k miles ago.

Were not talking about the same thing then.I am talking about the ones with the steel tube that runs from the drivers side manifold up to the intake and they have a bunch of vacuum hoses plumbed into it and I think a couple sensors also.These engines also have the cam sensor.I assumed they called these engines "with egr" going by what ford says and what sellers on ebay say when referring to the computer and 4.0 engines. I have 2 94 rangers and neither have those parts I described.My 93 explorer was built June 93 and it does not have it and I have a 94 4 door explorer for parts and it also does not have those parts.

Were not talking about the same thing then.I am talking about the ones with the steel tube that runs from the drivers side manifold up to the intake and they have a bunch of vacuum hoses plumbed into it and I think a couple sensors also.These engines also have the cam sensor.I assumed they called these engines "with egr" going by what ford says and what sellers on ebay say when referring to the computer and 4.0 engines. I have 2 94 rangers and neither have those parts I described.My 93 explorer was built June 93 and it does not have it and I have a 94 4 door explorer for parts and it also does not have those parts.

The EGR system does indeed include the tube you mentioned which runs to the EGR valve, which attaches to the intake. There is also two rubber hoses that go from the EGR tube to the DPFE sensor, which is either a potmetal color or black plastic depending on revision. There is a vacuum line that operates the EGR valve and a solenoid which switches that vacuum.

I am not certain if Rangers followed the same rules on EGR by year. By 94 the Ranger should have EGR, but they did change things up. For example, the PCM pinouts between Ranger and Explorer differed slightly. The 93 body redesign of the Ranger seemed to spur various differences between it and the Explorer, as opposed to them both following mostly the same paths in 91 and 92.

Your 93 Explorer does not necessarily have to have EGR, nor a cam sensor, but your 94 should have it. If it truly did not from the factory (the intake manifold design is different with a smoother uninterrupted drivers side) then you may have a unicorn. They do exist.

Personally I have not had any issues with the EGR system or the cam position sensor on any of the 5 first gen Explorer's I've owned. Likewise the evaporative emissions system has been very reliable for me, with only one requiring solenoid replacement (junkyard $5 fix). Luckily on these Explorers the emissions system is very simple and fairly robust so there's no good reason to remove it. It's not like the Mustangs which had air pumps that robbed power; the Explorer's emissions devices actually improve drivability and economy. The cam position sensor is a rare failure for most 4.0s, but if it does fail a replacement should last for years.

Sorry but ive been around thousands of these explorers since they are one my favorite vehicles and very few have had that egr sytem including 94 model years.If you get on ebay and look up 91-94 4.0 engines and look at the ones that are actually from a 94 not many will have egr either.Plus if you look up 94 explorer ecm on ebay most will be for "FED" engines which are engines without egr.The DSO from the one I just bought is 71 meaning it sold in Los Angeles sales district so that explains why it has it..It could be the area I'm in (ohio) since we do not have strict emission control laws (unless you are around one of the big cities)but most explorers and rangers in my area do not have it regardless of the year and it was mentioned earlier it could be had on 91/92 models and I've never seen an early model with it.Plus if egr was mandatory in 94 then there would not be different computers for with and without egr.So there are no inicorns in this case.I am not wanting it gone because I think its troubleprone..i just dont like the extra clutter..to change a valve cover gasket etc all that crap is in the way of it.Sure you rarely if ever have to change a gasket on these but thats not the point.

Sorry but ive been around thousands of these explorers since they are one my favorite vehicles and very few have had that egr sytem including 94 model years.If you get on ebay and look up 91-94 4.0 engines and look at the ones that are actually from a 94 not many will have egr either.Plus if you look up 94 explorer ecm on ebay most will be for "FED" engines which are engines without egr.The DSO from the one I just bought is 71 meaning it sold in Los Angeles sales district so that explains why it has it..It could be the area I'm in (ohio) since we do not have strict emission control laws (unless you are around one of the big cities)but most explorers and rangers in my area do not have it regardless of the year and it was mentioned earlier it could be had on 91/92 models and I've never seen an early model with it.Plus if egr was mandatory in 94 then there would not be different computers for with and without egr.So there are no inicorns in this case.I am not wanting it gone because I think its troubleprone..i just dont like the extra clutter..to change a valve cover gasket etc all that crap is in the way of it.Sure you rarely if ever have to change a gasket on these but thats not the point.

You are correct. .i personally have four here,91,92,93,94 (2 rangers and 2exs)and none have egr..yes you can just swap the upper intake and manifold if you want, I would plug it personally. If you have ecm then swap that too but would think it would still run just fine with the cali one.its not like it has a ton of electronic bs to tell it is gone..

Thanks,yes I know Im correct on this one and was surprised it wasnt well known with as many of these that are out there and most I see do not have it anyway so pretty surprised.I was thinking same thing on the computer but I have one already so i thought I might as well use it just in case since I will be leaving the cam pos sensor in and unplugged.It might cause some issues with the cali computer and it not being plugged in.

Thanks,yes I know Im correct on this one and was surprised it wasnt well known with as many of these that are out there and most I see do not have it anyway so pretty surprised.I was thinking same thing on the computer but I have one already so i thought I might as well use it just in case since I will be leaving the cam pos sensor in and unplugged.It might cause some issues with the cali computer and it not being plugged in.

O wow it has a cps? That must be a cali only thing also.that might throw a curve ball in for the other computer to work.may have a different connector, you may wanna leave it plugged in and just run oe ecm.seriously doubt it will hurt anything. Should just adjust the mixture for lack of egr gasses..idk alot about emission crap tho, nothing I own or have owned has had any of it and im GLAD!!

Eww you might have the hybrid obd1/obd2 ecm.if thats the case a non emission ecm wont work.you have a obd2 port under the dash anywhere?? Ive seen some like this even a 95.even tho it has a obd2 port it cant be tuned with sct handheld, only reason I know about them..

Yes,any of the egr equipped engines also use the cam postion sensor.Thats what my orig question was about..Can I pull that crap off and not get into trouble with the ecm..I can change all that but I didnt know if the wiring to the ecm was acutally different.The engine harness is a little different obviously but not by much.I will post the different computers for a 94 taken from the ford master repair manual.

F47F-12A650-CT man trans with EGR
F47F-12A650-KB man trans without EGR
F47F-12A650-MB auto trans without EGR
F47F-12A650-NB auto trans without EGR
F47F-12A650-DBA auto trans with EGR

No it doesnt have the obd2 port under the dash..I have never seen a first genration explorer with that and am petty sure all of them up to that point of 94 has the underhood computer test?but I could be wrong!...

To eliminate the egr you will also need to swap wire harnesses and ECM.

non egr (93 down) may or may not have a cam sensor, and may have one 02 sensor, some have 2. So, you will also need to swap over any sensor required by the ECM of the particular model.

Easier and much more efficient to keep the egr, as it is against the law to remove any emissions control from a vehicle.

As far as more efficient i dont buy that..any time you run exhaust gasses back thru an engine it is not good for the engine.It is good for the environment maybe but not the engine.As far as "against the law" everything is against the law nowadays or havent you noticed?The fact they made the engines with or without it does away with actually doing anything illegal(in my opinion)...

I wasn't considering just fuel efficiency when I made the post. I was also considering your time. Best to fix what you have and go on to other things.

EGR can be debated forever, however, being of age I have noticed since EGR was incorporated into vehicles, the engines have lasted a lot longer. Which is also more efficient.

As far as "everyone else breaks the law so can I", well, that is just not a good attitude to have in a public forum. If you want to discuss illegal activity take it to another forum please. :thumbsup:

In other words, do what you want ( others have) but don't say you did or ask for help doing it, if it is illegal.

I wasn't considering just fuel efficiency when I made the post. I was also considering your time. Best to fix what you have and go on to other things.

EGR can be debated forever, however, being of age I have noticed since EGR was incorporated into vehicles, the engines have lasted a lot longer. Which is also more efficient.

As far as "everyone else breaks the law so can I", well, that is just not a good attitude to have in a public forum. If you want to discuss illegal activity take it to another forum please. :thumbsup:

In other words, do what you want ( others have) but don't say you did or ask for help doing it, if it is illegal.

Thats just it,I was not condoning or saying it was ok to do something illegal "because everyone else is doing it"..I merely stated the obvious..the engines could be had either way and because of this they both have to pass emmissions standards for the years regardless..so in that fact by removing parts from one and turning it into the other its still very legal.and i wouldnt associate egr with engine longevity either..thats another thing that could be debated forever..synthetic oils are the main reason but as far as that goes the engines that I have been around from the 60s and even 50s have lasted a very long time..from ford anyway...and just as long as anything built today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not arguing about if all 94s have it or not..They did not all have it and anyone thats been around these for any length of time knows this.Did you not pay attention to the computers I listed earlier??They are all from 94 and some are for egr equipped and some without..since you dont think this is correct call ford and ask them.Ive had several 94s both rangers and explorers and still have a few and none had it until this one!

Back