94 Explorer Fuel pump? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Fuel pump?

Ok here is the latest, wife has been driving the explorer to work......hell I ain't driving it, it might break down..lol.
Well I decided to drive it Monday went out to warm it up ran about 15 min, I got in about to put it in drive and it died. Back to the original problem, with a new twist. now when I turn the key on i did not hear the pump running, started messing with the ignition and eventually heard the pump come on. heard it quit and it started, now I'm thinking the problem is in the ignition (and maybe it is) but then it dies again and I can't get it to repeat the problem, I'm sitting there with the key on and then the the pump comes on again, but will not shut off. it will not start. so I'm back to square one, not sure what to do......very confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This last set of symptoms sure sounds to me like something might be messed up in the main PCM wiring. I'm not exactly sure how I might approach it. Maybe start with main PCM power. KOEO, is the EEC relay closed? Is power getting to the PCM? Wouldn't hurt to check the PCM grounds to make sure all three are good.

Things have not gotten any better for me, I was driving to work and drove about 8 miles from the house, doing about 55mph and the truck just died. I coasted into a shopping center, turned it over a number of times and it sounded like it might have broken the timing chain (belt). I was thinking this because it sounded like it was turning over pretty freely. Anyway I had the truck towed home and I was joking around with the wrecker driver and my daughter saying it would be pretty funny if the damn thing started.......and guess what IT DID!!!!!!! I drove it in the driveway cussing the whole time. The wrecker driver even said he tried it before putting it on the truck and it would not start. So here I am totally lost not sure what to do, any suggestions from anyone? Here is what I have done so far:

*changed fuel pump---still having intermittent problems with the pump running for long periods of time and me turning the key on and off multiple times before it actually shut off.

*changed the solinoid on the firewall.

*changed the fuel relay in the power distribution box.

*changed the fuel filter

*changed the throttle positioning sensor

MrShorty,
I have had a number of people tell me to change out the Camshaft positioning sensor, could this be something to look at?

I don't know that I have yet heard of a CMP causing an intermittent stall/no start, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. The CMP is used by the PCM to synchronize each injector pulse with the valves. If it were somehow causing the PCM not to fire the injectors, then I could see it causing a no start. I don't recall from the entire discussion: are the injectors firing when it won't start?

Back