94 explorer help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer help

2ndgenaccord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 honda accord
hello every , im robert (a honda guy) im working on a friends 94 explorer . it has stored codes one for egr one for tps and one for something i dont know what it is cant find that code anywhere. i changed fuel pump fuel filter and tps. problem with the truck is seems to be in limp mode. if yo go past 2300 rpms seems theres nothing going on, if you go past 3/4 throttle it sounds as if you yank all the plug wires then there is no noise and you can see the rpms start dropping , but if you let off the motor comes back just cant get on it at all . any help would be greatly helpfull
thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my 94 TPS due to a dead spot at about 3/4's throttle. I found the problem using the KOER test described in the sticky's above, and I verified the failure by using a meter on the connector pins, and moving the throttle by hand.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svh5VsWIEkQ

I inserted smaller "T" pins instead of the larger meter probes, but my meter leads have provision for alligator clips. I also used an analog meter. By slowly moving the throttle by hand, you can see the needle on the analog meter move more smoothly than with a bunch of numbers jumping around with a digital meter.

I had the same issue with my old Ranger (same engine). It never threw a code, but it sure ran bad until TPS replacement.

already replaced tps , new thing cranks for awhile before it starts, turn key on and off a couple times doesn't seem to help, and there's oil in the intake where the hose attaches from the intake to the oil filler tube

there's 16,172,176,186,341,533,536 , which i replaced both o2 sensors tps , mass airflow(today), it takes about 3 to 4 times of cranking to start when it does it kind of sputters a bit then picks up

Ok, something's goofy here. Please don't take offense, but the code 16 is invalid for a 94. I think 91's used 2 digit codes, but I know my old 92 and my current 94 both use 3 digit codes. I suspect what is happening is you're reading a "fast" code for the 1, and you're reading two each 111's on the KOEO test - which means no faults are shown on that test , and you're thinking it's a 6.

However, the other codes seem valid
172 HO2S system indicates lean
176 System indicates lean bank #2
186 Injector pulse width higher, or MAF lower than expected
341 Octane adjust service pin open
533 Data Comm link to electronic instrument cluster fault
536 BOO circuit failure/not actuated during KOER test

Although these are valid codes, I'm not sure that they apply to this vehicle, especially the 533 code. I would suggest studying the Sticky at the top of this forum covering the reading of PCM codes, and also clicking on the link to MrShorty's page within that Sticky. You should get a valid test when following their directions. If your codes are different, post them here.

As I recall, there are 3 types of codes. First, when you perform a KOEO (key on engine off) test, there are two parts. The first part is the outputs test, which tests the PCM output circuits electrically with the engine off. Second, there is a "separator" pulse after which the CM (continuous memory) codes are read. And third, a totally different test is the KOER (key on engine running) test which requires you to stomp on the gas pedal and brake at certain points in the test. Each code, if there is one, is displayed twice.

Edit: here's the link
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962

Back