94 Explorer Leaf Springs and U-Bolt Plate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Leaf Springs and U-Bolt Plate

Rhaegal94

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm replacing rear suspension parts on my on 94 Explorer. The leaf springs at the top of the list on Auto and Truck Springs (here) indicate that they are for 1st gen Explorers but also indicate that they are for over the axle. However, my springs sit under the axle. The arch measurement on these is 4 13/16 inches which is what I have seen on other sites but they don't list their springs for over the axle. Other measurements were the same as well.

Can I still buy these to use under axle? Or do I need to buy the springs they have listed for the 95 Explorer which is listed as under axle with a 6 1/2 inch arch?

Also, do the u-bolt plates for the 95 Explorer fit on a 94 Explorer? I saw that someone fabricates them now and then but from what I read, it looks like they raise the shocks 2-3 inches and I'm trying to keep things at/close to stock height.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't trust anyplace selling parts, that aren't true to the application. Look elsewhere, like rockauto.com for reference.

The 4 door 1st and 2nd gens all have a 4 leaf pack. The 2 door sports have a single spring, with a small overload spring. They have the same length and arch for each version. There is a difference in years for bushing sizes, and this matters for the bolts used. If you stick to the year when searching a reputable site, they should have different part numbers for this reason. Some aftermarket springs might offer different weight ratings as well. 1250 lbs should be the stock 4 door rating, if you see a choice.

Shocks will not offer any lift, unless they are specifically made to do so.

Yes, 95 will work on a 94.
The perches your talking about are also skid plates, and yes, they do lift the lower mount a few inches to keep them out of harm's way. No worries about lifting at all with those.

Hope this helps you a little.

35455634-270A-456D-BFF7-7CB57867E9C4.png
Here’s what I get when I click your link. I don’t see any mention of how they mount, over or under. Am I not looking close enough?

I clicked on 43-967 and then checked the description (shown below). It's on the last line. I usually order from Rockauto or LMC Trucks but when I'm looking for a part, I check multiple sites to compare price and specifications. I was confused because the specs they list for these springs are the same on multiple sites (including Rockauto). It's just that when I read the specs/description on other sites, they don't specify SOA vs SUA.

2 1/2"(W) x 25 11/16"(S.E) x 30 15/16" (L.E), 3/1, (4 Lvs),

Grading, 3/.360 1/.590, Pack Thickness (1 7/8"), Arch (4 13/16"),

(1,250 Lbs) Capacity Each Rear Leaf Spring,

Front and Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushings Included,

Uses 9/16" x 4 1/2" Grade 8 Leaf Spring Eye Bolt Front and Rear Eyes,

(1) 9/16" X 4 1/2" Grade 8 Leaf Spring Eye Bolt (FREE),

Leaf Spring Sits Over Axle, On Top of Axle.

Well, the only real difference in the application is the center Pin bolt head's location.
The spring hangers for U-bolts, have a centering hole that align the axle to the leafs with this bolt.
If they have the bolt ran for SOA, and your SUA, all you have to do is replace the center bolt and flip it, which is very easy to do. Clamp packs tight, remove bolt, install new, and cut the excess off. 5 min job.

Pick up trucks are sprung over, maybe they are listing these that way out of confusion, as these Explorers are considered trucks in classification?

Either way, those prices have to be the lowest I have ever seen for new leaf packs. Even the HD versions are cheap. Now I just wonder where they are made, and what's the origin of the steel used.

Back