94 Explorer Limited... FAQ (expert advise please) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Limited... FAQ (expert advise please)

krisnowicki

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
i recently bought a 94 explorer with 57000 original miles on it.... I am going top pick itup next week because i bought it at an auction before i pick it up i am allowed an hour with the car to make sure that it is as "advertised" and in perfect mechanical condition .... You guys seem to be the experts on this so i was wondering aside from basic mechanics which i am pretty familiar with is here some things in specific i sbhould be looking for that this model is known for?

Things to check... rust around the rear rockers and rear door dog legs, radius arm bushings, overflow bottle/radiator for any signs of blown head gasket, transmission: make sure it goes into Fwd and Rev without hesitation. It's best to test the trans when the truck is completely cold, as they seem to slip more before they are warmed up. The trans is a weak point on the 91-94s. Make sure the CEL light works (hasn't been unplugged). I'd also do a carfax report on it to try and validate the mileage.

Back