94 explorer limited shift problems. HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer limited shift problems. HELP

Shawnday2015

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer limited
I purchased a 94 explorer limited in 2018 and about 3 months after driving it, I broke down and my transmission expelled all the fluid out of it. I got it towed home and put more fluid in it to pinpoint the leak and behold there was no leak. I drove it for another three months and then it started not wanting to take drive, I had to rev it to 1500 to 2000 rpm and then it would hard shift into gear. After in gear, it had no problems shifting through the rest. Then one day it wouldnt take gear at all except for reverse. Am I looking for a rebuild or could this be something simple?

The first issues was probably an overheating condition on the transmission and it puked fluid out of the input shaft seal, not uncommon. Sounds like you will need a soft rebuild, bands and clutches are probably shot, reverse has a heavy duty band so it usually lasts longer than the rest.

The first issues was probably an overheating condition on the transmission and it puked fluid out of the input shaft seal, not uncommon. Sounds like you will need a soft rebuild, bands and clutches are probably shot, reverse has a heavy duty band so it usually lasts longer than the rest.
Thanks MrQ, is this going to fix my trans overheating issue as well or how should I go about fixing that?

Thanks MrQ, is this going to fix my trans overheating issue as well or how should I go about fixing that?

First gen auxiliary transmission coolers, the small square black radiator in front of the main radiator, is notorious for clogging up and causing the transmission to starve for fluid and overheat. Highly suggest that you replace it. It may fix your engagement issue right now, but my concern is that the damage is already done.

Back