'94 Explorer Limited steering/handling problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer Limited steering/handling problems

LoveMyExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Northwood, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
I haven't seen this particular issue posted so here goes.

My '94 Limited is having issues with steering/handling. It started out very intermittent but has gotten progressively worse until I'm getting scared to drive her.

I have a couple of things going on:

1. My steering has developed a "resistance". When I try to turn the wheel I can definitely feel it fighting me. Then, sometimes, there'll be a "pop" feeling and the steering wheel will turn normally.

2. The truck has started "diving". I seriously feels like I have a wheel loose (I don't). I'll be going straight and it feels like the wheel wobbles and the truck will "dive" to the side. It's seriously difficult to correct this.

Both of these things are more noticeable after tight turns (either left or right) and seem to diminish as my speed increases.

Any ideas? It's snowing in NH today and I called out of work because I'm scared to try to drive my truck!

Check the rag joint in the steering shaft at the steering box, it probably is tearing apart. There is a plastic collar over it. The collar clips around on of the power steering lines and pulls straight back. Its a flap of rubber that acts like a u-joint in the steering shaft. If you have a power steering leak the fluid can ruin the rubber and cause it to fail

Does this happen only in 4x4? You could have u-joints that are frozen and resistent to rotation. Not a big deal just annoying.

If none of that is to blame then you will be going into the steering box itself. Make sure everything is in good shape and greased; ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, make sure everything moves smoothly and is tight.

Sometimes a dive will be caused by misalignment. If a part in your front suspension has failed like a bushing or ball joint, perhaps it could be causing a bad enough misalignment to cause this condition.

Back