94 Explorer no start | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

94 Explorer no start

slammed98z

Reaction score
City, State
Branson West, Missouri 65737
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2DR
I just picked up another explorer at the local dealers auction this past thrusday, a 94 4.0 2wd. Bought it through the non running lane. Its got couple of problems. #1 is the truck has no spark. I have checked the all the fuses and relays, havent been able to see if it is throwing a code. #2 The truck seems to have no fuel pressure, i have checked the shrader valve and no fuel comes out. I have concluded that it is most likely a fuel pump is out. My questions are:

1. Does the computer on the 94's control the fuel pump?
2. Do these trucks have a rollover switch like the 2nd Gens?
3. What else would cause a no spark condition other than the ECM, Crankshaft Sensor, & Coil Pack?

Any information would be helpful as i know nothing about the Electronics on the 91-94's.

<

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Relays and fuses would be the first place I would check. Does the check engine light even illuminate when the key is on? this is step one--

no power to PCM=no power to spark or fuel:D

<

slammed98z

Reaction score
City, State
Branson West, Missouri 65737
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2DR
Relays and fuses would be the first place I would check. Does the check engine light even illuminate when the key is on? this is step one--

no power to PCM=no power to spark or fuel:D

The check engine light does illuminate when the key is turned on. What has lead me to believe that it is related to the pcm is the fact that the vehilce has no spark and no fuel pressure. Two problems could be nothing to do with each other though. I havent had a chance to get a really good look at the vehicle, but i have gone through the basics of looking at the problem, including testing the fuel pressure (NONE), Adding gas to see if it was just out, pulling a plug and testing for spark (NONE). All the fuses that i have found are good. I did also swap a few relays around to see if it was a bad relay but without change.

<

Tango51

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Benning, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Yes, 1st Gens have an inertia switch located under the glove box. Just pull the carpet back, you should see it. You should really make sure that all of your relays in power box under the hood are good. At about $10 apiece it's really not that expensive to replace them all and the at least you have eliminated that possibility. Relays tend to kind of "fade" out instead of blowing out all at once. I had an intermittent problem like the one you are describing and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Finally, just on a hunch, I replaced the EEC relay and have not had a problem since. Just my 2 cents.

<