94 Explorer potential oil leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer potential oil leak

thyalmighty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4D 4WD
Hey everyone. I was searching the net for my problem and found this great forum. Hoping to seek some great advice from here and hopefully contribute as well.

My truck was out of commission due to overheating and rad coolant leak.
So I had my intake manifold repaired by a trusted mechanic. (9 hour job, apparently).

Now, about 100-150 KM later the same type of white smoke is spewing out from under the hood, driver side only, mildly. And the leaking fluid appears brownish/blackish/reddish. Is this oil? Is the white smoke burning oil? Should I be worried? (I can recognize the smell of burning rad fluid, but this smell was different)

THANKS! In advanced for any help offered. :)

My truck does the same thing, I was told it is a vale cover gasket.

run the truck...pop the hood (while running)and look for where the smoke is coming from....get back to us so we can help you

My guess is ATF is leaking onto the Cat and Muffler causing the white smoke.

Only smokes when driving I assume?

Is there any residue on the back of the car?

Thus the reddish brown fluid that falls to the ground when it is parked. Wipe the underside off and top off all the fluids. Then Start it up and go back under and look for wet spots and the source of the leak.

You really need to get if fixed properly! Maybe not by your "trusted" mechanic. :)

If you are leaking tranny fluid onto your exhaust system you could go up in flames any minute.

I was overheating my tranny while towing and had a similar condition.

Back