• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer rebuild, advice?

Skier2Av8or

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hello, I am new to the board but am planning on rebuilding a '94 explorer. A friend of mine has one and its in rough shape but the mechanics seem to be sound. I am in the middle of a cold compression check on it but so far its decent with the first 2 cylinders having readouts of about 120PSI (Got snowed out).

This particular one has over 200k miles on it but it does come from a very mechanically inclined family. I do have a few questions on what I need to do with it.

Assuming that the remaining cylinders and transmission are in good shape, I know I must replace the battery box, catalytic converter, transmission fluid, routine oil change. But what else must I check on such an old explorer before I buy it? Also how do I give the engine just a good solid cleaning and tune up?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this project

Welcome to the Site , well Since your in Colorado I would check the Rear leaf spring Shackles for rust or holes from rust , As well as the Complete undercarriage , While your at it , Check wheel bearings for play , tie rod end ball joints Etc , For the Tune up , A Good Oil change , Spark Plugs Get Motorcraft , The Explorers have issue With Bosch brand plugs ?? , Same for the coil get motorcraft , Same for plug wires get Quality parts , Check the Plastic Fan for cracks as there known to sort of Break and become a Problem , Before you change the oil you should check the cap for a Milky look or color , Check all belts , hoses and Vac connections , Other than This What you have mentioned should be a Good start for it , I'm sure others will chime in shortly !

Back