• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer runs hot

felixxer

Reaction score
City, State
turlock ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
A few months back I installed new radiator,h2o pump,fan,belt,thermostat.temp sensor,and hoses.
And it still runs hot. Not pegged to the right on the instrument guage but alot hotter than it was.
But there are no lights flashing. No water in oil. It runs good and even gets nearly 22mpg.
What am I missing????
Will a Stant radiator cap adversely affect the temp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how common my issue is, but my Explorer was overheating because of a plugged cat, it would only do it while idling.

Temp sending units (and the gauge itself) are notoriously inaccurate. Just my experience after owning a dozen of these things.

A real temperature gauge or at least a reading with an infrared thermometer will give you an idea of where your normal running temp should be on the gauge. I usually try and get a reading off the heads.

Watch your temp gauge for fluctuations too - my last Ranger had a bad fan clutch. It would hover right under the middle until I stopped at a light, then it would go up, up, up! Then back down once I started moving. The fan was basically just free spinning.

Should check your AC condenser to make sure it's not plugged full of crap too. All the new parts in the world won't help if it just simply doesn't have airflow.

My brother fought this problem a long time. Changed every coolant part he could find. Updated the fan clutch to a heavy duty unit, changed the fan to a 12-blade, added extra transmission coolers and electric fans to those coolers. It ran fine when idling, but the minute he turned the A/C on it started getting hot fast. Couldn't find any leaks. Nothing abnormal other than the heat. Then a few months later he found chocolate milk on the dipstick. :frown: It turned out to be a very small head gasket leak.

Back