• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer XLT EGR Pipe broken

bfrancis

Reaction score
City, State
rochester,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a broken egr pipe on my 1994 explorer(4.0). It broke off right at the connection to the exhaust pipe. I pulled the egr valve off and put it in a vise to get the upper nut off but am having trouble trying to get the lower part off. Since there is no pipe sticking out of the nut that is still on I was thinking of putting a socket over the nut and wrenching on it that way. However, there is not enough room for me to swing a breaker bar or a rachet in that area. I am wondering if anyone knows of any tricks to getting this lower nut off. Also, my dealer wants $97 for this chincy a$$ pipe. Is the dealer the only place I can get this pipe? Are there instructions anywhere to bypass this system completly? It is an old truck and I dont think it is worth a dumping $97 into at this point.

did the same thing on a 94 I used to have. Dealer part. 84 dollars. Junkyard egr pipes are crap. I just put a pipe plug in the hole in the exhaust pipe. Never did replace the pipe.

Pipe plug

Do you put a pipe plug on both the egr end and the exhuast pipe end? Where can I buy a pipe plug?

You only have to plug the exhaust pipe side. I just let the EGR side hang there. You can get a galvanized pipe plug from a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot.

Back