94 Explorer XLT V6 Doesn't Start: KOEO Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer XLT V6 Doesn't Start: KOEO Codes

CE_94ExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi:

Thank you in advance for your help.

My 94 Explorer stalled in a trafic light and it didn't want to start ever again. When I try to start I hear a click but the starter doesn't do anything.

I have no budget to bring it to a shop (no wonder), but I'm O.K. with mechanical stuff so I'll try to fix it myself.

I run de KOEO test and I got these codes:

---
===
---

Do these codes tell me what the problem is, or should I start replacing the starter?

If somebody could help to pinpoint the problem I'll really appreciate it.

Thank you all again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those codes are all over the place.
116: coolant temperature sensor out of range
114: Intake air temperature sensor out of slef-test range
157: Mass air flow sensor below minimum voltage
212: Ignition module circuit failure/SPOUT circuit is grounded
332: EGR valve opening not detected

If you can get the starter tested, I would start there. Sounds like theres a short somewhere to me, maybe your starter is it.

Im not much on first gen, so If anyone else can toss in something more helpful, feel free

My 94 Explorer stalled in a trafic light and it didn't want to start ever again. When I try to start I hear a click but the starter doesn't do anything.
PCM has nothing to do with whether or not the starter works. I would probably start with some basic checks for this type of no start (battery good? battery charged? good connections between battery and starter? etc.)

whatever triggered the CM 212 might explain why it stalled, but I'd get the engine turning over before I worried too much about this.

Oh, and so you don't worry about them, the KOEO 114 and 116 are almost certainly a result of not being able to start the engine. Can't start the engine, can't warm up the engine, and the PCM expects these sensors to be warm during the KOEO test. Ignore these until you can get the engine to start.

Thank you guys for your feedback.

Battery is couple months old, fully charged. I even tried with my battery booster just in case, but it made no difference.

could this be something as simple as the starter solenoid?

How can I check the starter solenoid?

Again, I am more of a second generation guy. I am doing this from memory and I am guessing since this is a 94, this is how it is set up. Someone will correct me soon if I am wrong. Isn't there a solenoid on the fender of the truck? Follow the positive wire from the battery towards the starter, it should lead to a solenoid. When you find the solenoid, there will be one large wire from battery, one large wire to starter and one or two small wires. You test the solenoid by "shorting" from the battery side to one of the small wires. Should engage starter motor. You might have the solenoid on the starter itself, a whole other ballgame, but same basics.
If it turns the starter, your solenoid is toast. If it doesnt and all you see is sparks your starter is dead. Ensure a good contact when doing this and be deliberate, do not hesitate or you will just make sparks and fry whatever you use to cross over the connection. Deliberate on and off.

Check the 60 amp fuse under the hood in the power distribution panel. Its labeled ignition, and I had that blowing out, wouldn't let me crank it over. I suppose if the ignition module is shorted out from code 212 or the wiring to and from that, it could cause the same problem.

Hi everyone:

My apologies for not responding sooner, I don't have a garage and it have been pretty cold out on my driveway.

As soon as I have some results (or questions) I'll post an update.

Thank you all again and please bear with me.

Hi Again:

I've replaced the starter (which comes with the solenoid) and now the truck starts right up. While I was doing this I replaced the thermostat and the spark plugs (which I hadn't changed in many years)

The CEL continues to go on and off at random. I've run some tests and this is what I got:

KOER + Pressing Brake
-----
3 3 2
5 3 8
-----
3 3 2
5 3 8

KOER + Pressing Throttle
-----
3 3 2
5 3 8
5 3 6
-----
3 3 2
5 3 8
5 3 6

By the way, since a little while now the radio doesn't work (stock radio). The display works and shows the time and everything, but when it's turn on there is no sound coming out from the speakers (it started with a lot of noise from the speakers to the point of not making any noise at all). I don't think it's related to the trouble codes, but just in case.

Thank you all again for your assistance.

KOER 536 is almost always from neglecting to press the brake after engine id is output.

KOER 538 is almost always from neglecting the "goose" test after receiving the goose pulse towards the end of the test (just before code output).

KOER 332 points to an EGR issue. Do you get an EGR code from the KOEO test (maybe a 327 or 335)? A KOEO code almost always points to an electrical fault. If it is passing the KOEO test, you may also have to consider something mechanical or a vacuum/air flow issue through the EGR valve.

Back