'94 Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer?

Originally posted by Gimp

Hey, Rhett. The "radiator" for the air conditioning is called the condensor and it sits ahead of the radiator for the engine. The condensor condenses hot, high-pressure freon gas into a liquid.
Yup, exactly what I meant! Dead Link Removed (Actually, that was a very good explanation!)

Ok I see...I always jumbled the condensor and rad into 1. And that was a good expl. of a/c. Now, since this thread is onto the subject...What type of transmission cooler is fitted to our trucks? What I mean by this is, as I was looking at my Explorer's trans cooler the other day, I was wondering if it's the "tube and fin" type that many say is the best cooler...it looks like it just has twisted metal strips connecting two tubes on each end. Any info about the type of stock trans cooler is appreciated...

18,000 GVW! I don't think I _need_ a better trans cooler. But..

My only concern is that I want the auto trans to last as long as possible. It has 83,000 miles on it now. Heat is a major trans killer. I rarely tow, but even with normal (eg "non towing") driving, would the auto trans last longer with a tube n fin? Would the factory stacked plate cooler be more than adequate, or should I look into a more capable aftermarket cooler?

It would probably be overkill in my case? Also the close proximity of the exhaust pipe/cat area to the transmission concerns me. I guess they engineered it right.

Back