94 FW Leaf Sprung on 38.5s | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 FW Leaf Sprung on 38.5s

Hey y'all, just got mine on tires Friday night, and thought I'd post up my progress on it..... its just about done, I just have a few bugs out that I'll be asking about in either this thread or another one. but onto the stats.

Full Width HPD44 Front
5.38 gears
Welded spiders
FSJ front leafs re-arched 8"

Full Width 9" Rear
5.43 gears
Full Spool
re-arched Explorer leafs 8"

Still need to finish Driveshafts, steering, brakes, and fluids.... but here's a pic until I can get some daytime pics and suspension shots up....

420202_207_full.jpg

thanks for lookin
--Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What torque converter are you using? I think mine is bad. The transmission acts like it's slipping, and I tried to cut corners by using the torque converter from my C5. :( Dammit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that truck should never be allowed on the road.

Your gonna have a hell of a time turning that thing when you get it offroad. A front welded diff along with a rear locker doesnt turn worth a crap.

did you ever take out the BL?

Thanks for the info, but this ain't my first rodeo cowboy.

cableguy said:
that truck should never be allowed on the road.

Your gonna have a hell of a time turning that thing when you get it offroad. A front welded diff along with a rear locker doesnt turn worth a crap.

No, the Body lift ain't off YET, but its comin off...... Finishin the Explorer is on hold for a while b/c I just bought a new tow rig so I gotta pay for it.

--Ryan

Do you guys delete all criticism on this board or just the ones that go against your train of thought. I don't really care either way. Just wondering.

Have fun your new rig and trailer look great :thumbdwn:.

cableguy said:
Do you guys delete all criticism on this board or just the ones that go against your train of thought. I don't really care either way. Just wondering.

Have fun your new rig and trailer look great :thumbdwn:.
No, I just delete dumb ass remarks that arent' needed.

FROADER said:
No, I just delete dumb ass remarks that arent' needed.

Thank you sir...... There's no use havin a guy like this in this thread in my opinion.

--Ryan

I was actually being nice untill your "rodeo" comment. If you can't handle criticism, you shouldn't post your stuff on public boards.

Your truck (by itself) and your trailer are unsafe. That was the point I was trying to make. As far as the welded front goes, you will learn soon enough.

I am going to have to agree with cable guy on the unsafe part :eek: I have seen a lot less safe vehicles driving down the road though, at least this one sounds like it will only be on trails. I am sure you will get everything worked out and it will be fine. I can't tell you how scared I was the first time I took my SAS on the highway. Now I drive it at 90 no problem!!! It isn't fair to judge your truck at such an early stage!!

Not sure but I think the C5 torque converter has a lock up, and the C4 doesn't. When doing the conversion, you want to use a C4 valve body and converter, the rebuilt converters offered for the C5 are now just offered as nonlockup. I hope that you flushed out your trans lines leading to the cooler on the radiator before you replaced the trans. Most of your shady trans shops won't do this and hope to see you back with the same problem and squeeze a little more cash out of you. Best thing to do is get a little cooler with a fan on it, mount that up on the support, B&M makes a nice one and Duff has it listed on their site.

to my knolage the welded front shouldnt be a problem if he keeps the hubs unlocked....right?...correct me if im wrong

On pavement, yes. Offroad, it will push like crazy. I run an ARB rear and an OX front so I can engage/disengage either one so I can turn. I can leave the front locked and disengage the rear and it turns fine, but with both locked it's not easy at all.

just lock one of the front hubs...

SkanlaxJMO said:
just lock one of the front hubs...

having a welded front is a bad idea period. To go with what cableguy is saying having your front end locked on a wet or off camber turn, the truck will not want to turn. It will "push" (just slide on in a straight line). I have been with guys locked front and rear that cannot make turns that I can on the trail with my open front diff. Sure a front locker works WONDERS for wheeling...but turning on a wet/offcamber/steep area will cause a headache. Some instances wont allow for you to just go into 2wd and unlock a hub. A welded front is a bad idea because it will push much harder than a locker type front end due to slippage in the locker.

Back