94 Ltd How to change positive battery cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ltd How to change positive battery cable

WECALLHERDORA

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ltd
Hello
I have diagnosed my vehicle as needing a new positive battery cable. I am no mechanic but can read directions very well. Is there someone who could tell me exactly how to replace this? Any help is appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you need the battery to the solnoid or solnoid to starter.

either is easy.

Tim

Well I am thinking that it would be battery to silanoid. the corrosion is at the battery terminal and I wasnt getting any power to starter when wiggling the cable I was able to start it but the connection was weak. I have read many threads about notorious corrosion in cables and I would like to make the change. Just need further instruction. Maybe you could tell me for both battery to silanoid and to starter just in case both will need replacing.

No tricks here, just disconnect the old one and reconnect the new one following the same path and connecting to the same points.

For safety disconnect the negative battery cable first and make the negative terminal the last connection as you finish. I like to use a little sand paper to polish up all the battery terminals and as I reconnect them give each terminal a little twist to seat the lug to the battery post just before it is too tight to move. It is kind of a bonding thing then spray with some WD-40 to help prevent further corrosion. The felt washers also work well to help prevent corrosion.

Back