• Register Today It's free!

94 Neutral Start Switch

jaggermfjames

Reaction score
City, State
Fond du Lac, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4X4
So I have new solenoid and starter in the 94 XLT. The battery cables and terminals look in to be fine, very little corrosion if any. I've checked resistance through the pos cable, it was ~1 ohm. Resistance through neg cable to alternator was about the same. So the ground should be good?

I get 12V to the starter via both the battery cable and the solenoid switch when key is in cranking position.

The only thing I can think of, or actually haven't checked or even know where it is, would be the neutral start switch. I understand that if the switch is faulty it will not let the truck start in P or N, which it currently doesn't do.

However, would the solenoid on the starter still be recieving 12V? If so you would think the starter would spin over wouldnt you!? How would the neutral start switch prevent the starter from spinning when both the cables to the starter are receiving 12V?

I hooked up the starter to a battery with jumpers and it spins great (brand new warrantied from Autozone, hasn't fired truck up yet). SO that shouldn't be an issue, correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

resistance on the positive cable for voltage drop isn't really a good test, better to do a voltage drop test on the cable than a resistance test. An ohm meter just doesn't have the voltage or the current to get a good reading on a cable as heavy as the starter cables.

I'm thinking your solenoid is bad. Do you get a click sound when ging from on to start?
When you say the starter spins, does the solenoid kick out too?
Something to try: attempt to start and move gear selector, might be that your gear selector is mis aligned.

Like I said in your other thread: Try taking a jumper wire from one of the mounting bolts on your starter to the negative terminal on the battery. It seems like you are not grounding properly.

Good call, had a bad ground. Replaced cable (that was not fun) and she fires right up. Now I have a fuel leak (new thread)...

Back