94' sounding very bad at start, still not so great after | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94' sounding very bad at start, still not so great after

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first impression is a constant misfire of some kind. I might try a cylinder balance test to see if you can isolate the misfire to one or two cylinders.

Sounds like dead cylinders. Gotta figure out if it's spark or fuel. Pretty easy to test the coil pack & wires if you have a multimeter. 1 bad wire will kill 2 cylinders.

That's not a dead cylinder, and even if it was, it would be obvious by looking at the spark plugs. You do realize you have a MASSIVE exhaust leak, right? That's certainly not helping. I'm not saying its the problem, but the last time I had my truck idle like that, I forgot to hook the PCV line to the plenum. I would look for big vacuum leaks. Check the vacuum tree, then spray around the engine bay with carb cleaner. After that, I would check fuel pressure. I assume you have new spark plugs and wires, as that's always the first thing to do. I doubt its a coil, but I've been wrong a lot of times before.

An exhaust leak is a huge problem with O2 sensors down stream.

check and clean your MAF sensor, also EGR valve and maybe after that if its still not working check fuel injectors.. First thing id say would be the MAF though, probably needs to be cleaned, takes 45 mins max, and most that time is letting it dry..

Back