94 sport aftermarket full exhaust system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 sport aftermarket full exhaust system

azndan

Reaction score
City, State
Kzoo Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport M/T 2WD
So i have done a lot of searching around here on this forum and on the internet and have tried to assemble a good exhaust system for my 4.0L OHV
Just wanted your input and any suggestions:
First off headers:90-94 Pacesetter Ford Ranger Explorer Mazda 4.0 Headers ($230)
P40701170.jpg

Here is the item description: "PACESETTER HEADERS, BLACK-PAINTED -- Shorty Headers, 1.5 in. Primary Tubing Diameter, 16-Gauge Primary Tube Wall Thickness, 2.5 in. 3-Bolt Flange Collector, These Easy-To-Clean Headers Feature Mandrel-Bent Mild Steel Primary Tubing That Is Black-Painted To Reduce Underhood Temperature And To Resist Rust And Corrosion, They Significantly Boost Performance And Increase Engine Efficiency, Hook-Ups For Smog And Engine Management Sensors, Comes With Header Extension To Connect To Stock System, Fabrication May Be Required, Not Legal For Use On Catalyst-Equipped Vehicles Except For Racing Vehicles Which May Not Be Operated On A Highway, Pre-Catalyst Vehicles Must Use Original Emission Control Devices, It Is The Responsibility Of The Customer To Reinstall These Devices On The Vehicle, Comes With Gasket, Reducers, And 0.375 in. Standard Head Flange, With Pacesetter's 3-Year Warranty"
Hedman Headers Explorer/Ranger 4.0L 90-94 V6 2wd/4wd ($362)
hed-89400.jpg

Item Description:"For the price, no other part can give you the horsepower and fuel-economy improvements of Hedman headers. They make Hedman Street Hedders so well that they guarantee them to be free from defects--including cracks in the tubes and welds--for the life of the headers. Hedman Street Hedders are available in black painted or ceramic coated finishes, and, as an added bonus, they also come with all necessary gaskets and mounting hardware."
However I have search long and far an unable to find the outlet size to the cat. Does anyone have these headers and know? or does anyone know off hand?
Second exhaust: There are a couple options I'll show them all
Flowmaster Exhaust Cat-Back Ford Explorer 91-94 4.0L ($125-$225)
flo-17227.jpg

Item description: "FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST SYSTEM KIT, ALUMINIZED STEEL -- Single Side Exit Exhaust System (SOS), Benefits Include Reduced Backpressure For Improved Acceleration And Towing Power, Cooler Underhood Temperatures, A Cleaner And More Efficient Burn In The Combustion Chambers, Better Fuel Economy, Features Mandrel Bent 16 Gauge Aluminized Steel Tubing, Delivers Lesser Interior Resonance, Includes 2.25%X94 Outlet, 50 Series SUV/Performance Muffler, Stainless Tips, And Hardware, Welding All Slip Connections Recommended, With Manufacturer's Limited 3-Year Warranty"
The only reason I'm not sure about this exhaust system, is because its outlet is only 2.25" that seems pretty small to me and doesn't take advantage of the headers outlet being 2 1/2"
1993-1994 Ford Explorer - Gibson Exhaust System Swept Side - Polished, Stainless steel ($280-$350)
gibson_exhaust_19689.jpg

Item description:"GIBSON SWEPT SIDE EXHAUST, ALUMINIZED -- This Swept Side Exhaust System Is Made Of High Quality Heavy Duty Aluminized Mandrel-Bent Tubing To Maintain Constant Exhaust Flow For Outstanding Performance, Fully Welded Superflow TM Muffler For Better Volume Efficiency, 2.5 Single Kit With 3 T-304 High Polished Stainless Steel Clampless Slash Tip, Zinc Plated 3/8"-1/2" Factory Style Hangers And Heavy Duty Clamps, Engineered And Dyno-Tested To Improve Acceleration, Maximum Hill Climbing, Towing And Passing Power, Produces Maximum Torque And 15-20 Horsepower Gains At Low-End With Deep Aggressive Tone, Exit Is Straight Out The Back, Quieter In The Cab, Improves Fuel Economy And Efficiency, Heavy Duty Enough For Off-Road Use, Lifetime Limited Warranty, 50 State Emissions Legal"
I am leaning towards this one because is does have a 2 1/2" outlet and would work nicely with the headers, the only questions i have about this exhaust system is that 1 place i saw it it says for 4 door application only and another site said it would work with both 2 door and 4 door. Has anyone does this exhaust setup on a 2 door? Or does anyone have any expertize in knowing is this would work on a 2 door?
There are a few other systems out there, I'll put them on for the anyone else who is looking for putting together an exhaust.
Dynomax Exhaust System - Super Turbo - Aluminized steel ($165)
17415.jpg

Item description:"DYNOMAX SUPER TURBO SINGLE EXHAUST SYSTEM, ALUMINIZED STEEL, NATURAL FINISH -- 2 in. Muffler's Inlet Diameter, 2.25 in. Tail Pipe Diameter, A Truck Cat-Back Exhaust System, Single Rear Exit, Single Inlet/Single Outlet Muffler Configuration, Follows The OE Routing And Attaches Directly To OE Mounting Locations, Features Direct Fit Super Turbo Muffler Made Of Aluminized Steel For Sharper Appearance And Longer Life, This Muffler Has Exclusive Dynomax Patented Flow Directors That Channel Exhaust Flow And Eliminate Turbulence While Its Large Diameter Internal Tubes Maximize The Entire System's Efficiency, It Uses Fiberglass Matting For Mellow And True Performance Sound And Reduces Backpressure For Increased Horsepower And Fuel Economy, Its Aluminized Steel Pipes Are Mandrel Bent To Provide Smooth And Unrestricted Flow Increasing Horsepower And Torque, Comes With Required Clamps And Hangers Necessary For A Complete Installation, Optional Exhaust Spout Or Tip Is Sold Separately, Intermediate Pipe Is A Stock Replacement Pipe, With Dynomax's Limited Lifetime Warranty"
This kit also is only a 2 1/4" inlet/outlet
Gibson Performance Swept Side Gas Exhaust Ford Explorer 93 94 ($325)
I_303365_CL_1.jpg

Item Description:"ALUMINIZED SWEPTSIDE SINGLE CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR GAS ENGINES

* Boost horsepower up to 17% while improving acceleration, passing and pulling power!
* Mandrel-bent, 16-gauge heavy-duty tubing for unrestricted flow
* Superflow™ Muffler is fully welded, baffled and chambered producing more power and a mellow sound

The only system heavy-duty enough for off-road use. Big 3" diameter tailpipes. Giant T-304 polished stainless steel tip will not rust. Quieter in the cab than any other performance exhaust. Exists behind the rear tire near stock location or straight back under rear bumper, if noted. Installs easily behind the catalytic converter. Includes exhaust pipes from the converter back, muffler, tip, hardware and instructions. Attaches to existing mounting points. Fuel economy may improve as your engine becomes more fuel-efficient. 50-state emissions legal. Will not affect your factory warranty."
This exhaust system looks pretty interesting, wasn't able to find much information on it on the internet, but it does boast of a 3" diameter though.
last catalytic converter: Magnaflow CA Catalytic Converter, 1991-1994 FORD EXPLORER, 4L V6, 245cid w/ Fuel Injection ($80)
M6691004.jpg

Item Description: "MagnaFlows California Catalytic Converters are the first series of a new line of converters designed for use on vehicles equipped with Second Generation On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) systems. They are designed, tested, and catalogued for specific vehicles. They are not traditional universal converters. These converters have higher efficiency than conventional strict California requirements for conversion efficiency and durability. These converters are warranted for 5 years or 50,000 miles on the converter body and 5 years on the performance of the internal catalyst, including replacement for OBDII diagnostic codes for low catalyst efficiency."
I think this is one i want to get, it does have a 2 1/2" inlet outlet.

Thanks all for looking...This is my first major post and i hope it looks good to all....Thanks again for lookin
Azn Dan

Pacesetter headers: stay away. junk. pure junk.

Hedman headers: Mild steel, rusts, don't fit perfect. Ok, but pricey for just ok.

Suggestion: Save your dough and get JBA headers, or just use the stock manifolds if you don't need high-RPM power. You've got to do internal engine work and get the heads to flow more before you need headers, anyway.

Flowmaster cat-back: Not bad if you want a bolt-on Flowmaster system. Poor warranty though.

Gibson cat-back: Not bad. Flows ok, but the muffler has those little louvres in it rather than the punched holes of modern straight-through designs. They also don't make a cat-back kit for the 2-door/Sports, and cutting the 4-door kit up DOESN'T work without having the new pipe (front AND back) fabricated. Not worth it unless you gotta have the Gibson sound. It DOES sound pretty cool.

Dynomax cat-back: Best bang for the buck, can be had for less than $50 total after rebates during certain promos. Lifetime replacement warranty with receipt. The bad: 93-94 2-dr/Sports don't get a cat-back kit, only 4 doors. You can make your own kit with a 4 door catback kit and 2-dr intermediate pipe, or buy the parts all seperate. You're better off with the 91-92 kit though, it's 2.25" pipe from the cat back, the 93-94 kit uses a 2" cat-to-muffler pipe, and has a 2" muffler inlet, which is a bottleneck. Apparently there is some drone on the 91-92 system that the 93-94 might not have, though, and you'll need to get the 91-92 muffler hanger or have one fabricated to use it.

SUGGESTION: Get the Dynomax. It flows more than enough for the 4.0, has a deep exhaust note, and isn't obnoxiously loud. Lifetime warranty comes in handy for when the muffler rusts through. Only thing better is a straight-through design like a magnaflow/borla/dynomax ultra-flo, if you need it, but they cost more.

Magnaflow CA catalytic converter: Not a direct fit, requires fabrication. Too bad! A single high-flow cat might be nice, especially for just $80.

Thanks for all the great information!!Since this write up i have bought a new TB so i can do the re-fabrication that someone had posted earlier...along with the PVC intake and 5.0l MAF. I want to hopefully buy 410 cams with the rocker arm set aswell....
Thanks again for all the info
Dan

Back