94 steering knuckle removal problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 steering knuckle removal problem

kgihemp

Reaction score
City, State
Bitburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I am in the process of changing out my ball joints on my 94 xlt 4x4. i have read the forums, i have a haynes, but with all of the advice and direction i cannot get the steering knuckle off. I have all the snap rings removed, cotter pins out, the pinch bolt out, the nut completely off the lower ball joint, and obviousley the abs sensor removed, axel shaft out, and spindle off. I have hit the inside of the steering knuckle with a hammer, i have hit the outside, i have hit the top of both the upper and lower ball joint trying to force the spindle down and nothing happens. Am i missing something. I am in the USAF in Germany, i can fix a plane with no problem, but the ol ford is giving me a run for the $$$$$$. Any help, tips, point in a direction will be greatly appreciated.

10# sledge right on top of the knuckle, hit straight down

Trick for stubborn ones is to also support the bottom of the torsion beam just inside the lower ball joint (block of wood, jack stand, etc)

I have also used a pickle fork to destroy and separate the lower ball joint, but basically what you need is a bigger hammer. I have not met one yet that didnt come loose if you hit it hard enough with a big enough sledge

It also really helps to wedge a large tip flat head screwdriver into the upper pinch bolt on the beam so you can easily rotate and remove the upper camber shim before attempting to drop the knuckle

The big hammer trick sounds good. Fogot to metion i have not removed the shim yet. the upper ball joint rotates when i turn the knuckle, but the lower one does not. What i mean by that is the shaft where the snap ring goes turns. The shaft where the nut goes on the lower ball joint does not rotate. is that normal? Thanks for the advice.

The big hammer trick sounds good. Fogot to metion i have not removed the shim yet. the upper ball joint rotates when i turn the knuckle, but the lower one does not. What i mean by that is the shaft where the snap ring goes turns. The shaft where the nut goes on the lower ball joint does not rotate. is that normal? Thanks for the advice.

Yes, this is normal...for your present situation. You have removed the pinch bolt on the upper BJ, so the shaft is no longer restricted, which is what the pinch bolt does when tightened. The lower BJ is tightly wedged into a machined conical opening, so removing that nut nut does not loosen the shaft. That's the one that's holding the knuckle on now, and providing you with your problem.

My advice...put the lower BJ nut back on just a few turns to secure the knuckle so it won't fall when you separate the joint. Then, take a pickle fork, place it between the lower edge of the knuckle and the BJ rubber seal, and bang hell out of it with good hammer. You will win! And thanks for your service.:usa:

Back