• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT Stereo Wiring Color Codes

saffy

Reaction score
City, State
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm sure this question has been asked 100 times before, but I was unable to find an answer anywhere so I'm asking again.

94 Explorer XLT. Just tore (literally) the stock HU out and I've got everything else wired up (thanks to my test light) but I can't figure out my speaker wiring.

I tried every combination I could think of for colors by plugging them into the new head and seeing if any sound came out. Nothing. I tested to make sure the stereo was actually putting out some noise, and it is.

My assumption is that the speaker wiring is the mess of wires inside the grey insulation? I can't think of any reason for the shielding or the uninsulated ground wire inside. Is that why I'm having no luck?

I also have a dark blue wire and a black wire left over (the Black is a spare ground as far as I can tell). I've been unable to trace the blue wire to anything.

Please help. I know I'm missing something simple, and this isn't the first time I've put this unit in a Ford. The wiring harness is cut so there'll be no reverse harness that I can use. I don't feel like spending any more money replacing the garbage stock deck as well (I'm sick of buying a new tool every time I want to make a simple change to my Explorer, DIN tool my ass). If I can't figure things out, I'll have to run new wire to the speakers and that's something I don't want to do until I replace them later on.

I own the Haynes manual but I don't see any helpful wiring diagrams in it for the stereo.

Please help!
Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of the blue wires is the amp turn on, if you dont use it, no sound will come out of the speakers

does this help?

1994 Ford Explorer Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
Left Front (+) Orange/Green
Left Front (-) Blue/White
Right Front (+) White/Green
Right Front (-) Green/Orange
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Doors
Left Rear (+) Pink/Green
Left Rear (-) Brown/Yellow
Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
Right Rear (-) Black/White

Thank you soooo much.

Now the stupid question: There's a stock amp in these????
My F150 definately didn't have that, heheh.

Where the heck is it located?

That would definately explain why the hell my speakers aren't making any noise. I'll hook it up to the control circuit right away and try it out.

Thanks!
Justin

Would this wiring color code be the same for a 95 LTD with the JBL system?

Jim is correct; if you have a stock amp then it powers the speakers. Unfortunately the stock amp is located in the right rear trunk area as seen in the pic below.. IMO it would be better to bite the bullit and run new speaker wiring. If you decide to remove the rear trim panel you will need a 5.5mm 1/4" socket to remove the coat hanger bolt.
18205Right_side_primed-med.jpg

Back