• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT towing help plz

brad20653

Reaction score
City, State
Lusby,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Will it be ok towing a 16 Ft trailer tandem axl with afullsize truck can these explorers handle that? It has a tranny cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. Considering an Explorer, with the best possible configuration, is factory rated at 5000 some pounds for towing. It might have worked fine but the A4LD is too weak. You can't expect it to hold up well. I've seen an Explorer towing an Explorer before, but wouldn't tow any more weight than that.

So whats the biggest trailer size i should stick with to move house goods and stuff that will be fine with my explorer?

I would say 3,500 pounds is a realistic safe weight. It can handle around 5,000 if the weight is distributed well, but the tranny will not survive a lot of that towing.

I'd say it depends on how far your towing, what kind of terrain you'll be towing it on,the ambient temp durring the tow, and your truck's equipment. If your going 30 miles on level road, you'll be fine, just drive very conservatively. However, a thousand mile tow thru the rocky mountains would most definitely kill the auto quickly, the truck just wasn't designed for towing serious weight.

a one time tow with a 5,000 lb. load isn't gonna kill the tranny, but making a habbit of it will certainly do so.
The 2 door 2wd automatic (with 3.73 rear) had the highest tow rating at 5,600lbs.
The 4 door 4wd manual (with 3.27 rear) had the lowest rating at 1,700lbs.

Assuming your's is 4x4 4 door automatic, you have two gear options: 3.27's good for 3,200 lb. tow rating. Or if you have the tow package, you will have the 3.73 gears good for 5,200 lb. tow rating.
Good luck!

How do i know which gears i have?

Also, when towing, I'd suggest you not use Overdrive. Your trannie will thank you for it.

Back