• Register Today It's free!

95 4.0 won’t start

shansen1

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
95 4.0 won’t start, good fuel pressure, plenty of spark, fuel pump runs continuously, PCM is not enabling the fuel injectors, any ideas? No codes

I have checked the wiring, relays, fuses, grounds, etc and everything looks OK. The fuel pump is new and is delivering 30 PSI fuel pressure. Whatever is supposed to shut down the fuel pump and activate the injectors is not working. There are no trouble codes since the battery went dead and was disconnected for recharge. After reinstalling the battery, the ODB2 analyzer says it cannot connect. This could be an indicator of the problem because something in the circuit is keeping the ECU from sending signals to the injectors?? There is plenty of spark, and if I use starting fluid it will start and of course die again because of the injectors are not firing. There is power to the hot side of the injectors.

I started getting desperate so I changed out the fuel pump, fuel filter, PCU, coolant temp sensor, with no help to the problem…help!!

What in the world can cause this?? PFE?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The fuel pump should only prime for a few seconds, then turn off. There is either a short on the fuel pump circuit, relay problem (I know that you replaced the relay, but was it the fuel pump relay, PCM relay or both), sticking relay, PCM problem (I know that you replaced this too), or a problem with the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. You could test the sensors by turning the engine with a breaker bar or ratchet while the key is in the on position. The pump should prime for a few seconds, then turn off after every short engine rotation.

thanks for the reply, I've had this rig for about 10 years and it hardly ever primes in just a few seconds. I no that's how it's supposed to work, but for one reason or another it doesn't. I even broke down in frustration a few years back and had a well known shop and a Ford dealer look at it with no real solution. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to find a camshaft sensor, but am having a difficult time because of the type that is in it. I was told that the camshaft sensor regulates the injectors. Everything else seems to check out so if I when I find one I guess I'll see. It was a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeach to get out because of the location and it has been untouched for 215,000 miles. All I can do now is hope, I guess.

If you haven't already, try replacing the fuel pump relay. I tried once with a $5 relay from Crappy Tire, but needed the $15 one from an actual parts store to solve the problem

95 4.0 won’t start, good fuel pressure, plenty of spark, fuel pump runs continuously, PCM is not enabling the fuel injectors, any ideas? No codes

I have checked the wiring, relays, fuses, grounds, etc and everything looks OK. The fuel pump is new and is delivering 30 PSI fuel pressure. Whatever is supposed to shut down the fuel pump and activate the injectors is not working. There are no trouble codes since the battery went dead and was disconnected for recharge. After reinstalling the battery, the ODB2 analyzer says it cannot connect. This could be an indicator of the problem because something in the circuit is keeping the ECU from sending signals to the injectors?? There is plenty of spark, and if I use starting fluid it will start and of course die again because of the injectors are not firing. There is power to the hot side of the injectors.

I started getting desperate so I changed out the fuel pump, fuel filter, PCU, coolant temp sensor, with no help to the problem…help!!

What in the world can cause this?? PFE?

When you first turn the key to the run position, does the check engine light go on for a few seconds? If not then the PCM relay is bad and the PCM has no power. I believe it is in the underhood box. I had the same problem on a continental. I change all my relays when I get a used car now. I would get a ford one, they are $8 bucks at the dealer.

Exactly the same problem.

What was the final solution to this problem. i am absolutely going nuts....

Back