95+ 8.8" into a '93... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95+ 8.8" into a '93...

Ok - before you shoot me ;), I have already read the write-up on swapping the two out. (see http://www.4x4central.com/discrear.html)

My question is this - I am going to add a 5.5" lift when I do this swap (I want the disc brakes obviously), but my concern is the spring perches. I plan on adding new perches, welded on, and new shock mounts. How do I 1) calculate where to mount the perches, taking into account with the lift I will need to rotate the axle back to relieve some of the stress from the increased angle, and 2) measure the length for new shocks if I add shock mounts? And while we're at it - has anyone seen dual shock mounts for the rear and if so, where?

Thanks for the help guys!

Jon

1) Measure the distance between you're current spring perches and space your new perches this distance on the new axle. Use an angle finder to calculate pinion angle. Attach it to the output flange on the t-case and take down the measurement. Then do the same on the input flange on the differential. The differential should be clocked (rotated) 2 degrees to compensate for axlewrap.

2) With the new axle bolted in securely, place a jack under one side of the axle and jack it up until both rear tires are off the ground. Place a jack stand under the low side for safety. Then measure the distance between shock mounts on both sides. The short side is your compressed length and the long side is your extended length. Go buy shocks that fall within these measurements.

I just cut the lower shock mounting bolt to the proper length and welded it directly onto the axle at the correct angle. You could use two for dual shocks but you'll have to get crafty for the upper mounts. Hope this helps...

Very helpful - thanks. Let me ask a couple more questions just to clarify...

When I rotate the differential (ques. 1), I will be rotating up to lessen the angle of the driveshaft, right? Also - what is an angle finder - is it similar to a carpenter's square?

Any ohter way to determine shock length? Problem I see is this... SOA + Zimm mod = a bunch of travel... I don't have a jack that will lift this much from under the axle. Thanks for the help - it seems like this won't be too complicated...

Jon

Back