• Register Today It's free!

95 cam 94 cam

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
so my local salvage guy has a 95 block hell sell me but i have a 94 im not so much worried about displacement as i am about the cam sensor differences ... i dont want to change my pcm and everything to get the 95 block up and running in my truck i know how to set the cam sensor up on the 94 but im wondering if it will go into the oil pump gear at all from a 95 block

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Between the 94 and the 95 the cam sensors are different but functionally the same. Grab the 95 connector and at least 12" of wire as the connectors are different but the wire colors are the same.

I would grab as new an engine as you can, long block or complete engine. At some point they changed the number of bolts on the crank but I can't remember the year. Combining some head/ piston combinations from different years are not advised. Then just transfer over what you need from your old engine.

98+ is when Ford went to a 8 bolt crank, to match the new SOHC engine since the OHV and SOHC share transmissions........

Your 94 cam sensor will likely install into that 95 block. And I know of members here who are running 96 style cam sensors in their 94-95 engines without issue. The 96 style cam synchronizer you can still buy all day long, getting the correct 94/95 part can be troublesome.

Between the 94 and the 95 the cam sensors are different but functionally the same. Grab the 95 connector and at least 12" of wire as the connectors are different but the wire colors are the same.

I would grab as new an engine as you can, long block or complete engine. At some point they changed the number of bolts on the crank but I can't remember the year. Combining some head/ piston combinations from different years are not advised. Then just transfer over what you need from your old engine.

adjusting the cam sensor was a big deal im assuming the sensors are just different and i got to step through a similar without the window that would be fine they have a guide tool but i assume they run off the oil pump gear the same way ..... so you dont think that the unit will cause any grief with my pcm ???

setting cam sensor is only a huge ordeal on a 95 with the sight glass type sensor
If you use the 96 style synchro and sensor and wire in its pigtail the procedure to install synchro is simple

bring engine to TDC on cyl number one COMPRESSION STROKE
Install sensor in correct location (on correct cam tooth) using alignment tool

Of course getting to the cam sensor on the OHV is a pita, but the upper intake plenum can easily be removed to make it better. Also you can remove the two 18mm nuts on your transmission mount and lift the rear of the drivetrain up with a floor jack 2" or so, gains you more room to work

adjusting the cam sensor was a big deal im assuming the sensors are just different and i got to step through a similar without the window that would be fine they have a guide tool but i assume they run off the oil pump gear the same way ..... so you dont think that the unit will cause any grief with my pcm ???

That PCM is programed to work with the sensors on your 94 engine. While the 96+ sensor looks different and has a different shaped connector it is electrically the same. I've been running a 96 cam sensor unit in my 94 for over a year now with no problems. Fitted into the block like the old one and engaged the crank and oil pump correctly.

That PCM is programed to work with the sensors on your 94 engine. While the 96+ sensor looks different and has a different shaped connector it is electrically the same. I've been running a 96 cam sensor unit in my 94 for over a year now with no problems. Fitted into the block like the old one and engaged the crank and oil pump correctly.
thanks i was contemplating that and the electronics.... i did mine by removing the air intake and putting a plank of wood across the engine bay i had a cut stubby 10mm and a brass sledge to knock it loose and tighten still never got it running right now i have to swap engines or rebuild i got a knock and its not rods lifters or rockers ... they made that ohv engine work up to 98 ?? different fuel send you said top two transmission mount nuts ... ive heard that is how you shimmy out your engine pan .... ive heard that rout but is there enough room to slide the pistons in im tight holding my own but have wittled out knock knock piston slap ...its alright it could be partially more cam and or crank bearings prob cam as noted here i remember the delta cam and crank article

Back