95 Cam Synchronizer / Sensor

bam_bam1ca

Reaction score
City, State
kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT, 1970 Olds 442
Good morning

My 95 explorer has been throwing a 214 code and I have replaced the crank sensor, and the plug going to the crank sensor. Next step is the cam synchronizer at the back of the motor. I have located a good used sensor, now my question is, does anybody have some tips at getting at this sensor, and how to align it? There is LOTS of information on how to align and install the sensor assemblyfor a 96-2000 (and replacing the hall effect transistor on the top of the 96 style assembly is EASY), but not much information on a 95.

This truck also has air, and the coolant line runs right across the firewall over top of the sensor.

Any tips on this job guys. :D

your ac line will have to move if you want to get the sensor out, unbolting the compressor should give you enough length, if the system is not charged just unhook the AC line

alignment of the cam sensor is the same as the 96+ models

honestly all I did was remove one sensor and drop another in, as mentioned before the cam sensor is only used during initial startup, so as long as the PCM can see that the sensor is getting a signal and will rotate with th eoil pump drive, it will start and run (alingment is not as critical as they would have you believe, the sensor is only a stator that rotates, position is not critical)

On my 5.0L I did use th ecam sensor alignment tool, on the 97 engine I installed I did not and it works 100% with no codes

Back