• Register Today It's free!

95 engine in 91 EB

partsguy74

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone. Been lurking here for a couple months, since I bought my 91 EB project. I just finished installing an engine from a 95 in it. I've noticed some posts about troubles with the fast burn heads with the older computer. Is there an eec-IV computer available that works with this engine. The truck has some idling noises and doesn't seem to be reacting properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you use the 91 upper intake, sensors, and computer?

Yes, I did.. The only thing from the 95 was the long block. All 91 sensors, harness, intake, exhaust and accessories..

Your 91 computer should be able to run that 95 engine just fine.

Any codes?
check fuel pressure and manifold vacuum?

I would then look at cleaning the MAS and resetting the computer.

Was the 91 running before the swap?

The 91 was running fine, just had a spun bearing in the bottom end. The 95 engine was running great in the 95 explorer. The check engine light isn't on, but I'll pull the codes anyway. The battery was out for over a week, so the computer should have been cleared, correct?

I'll pull the codes, clean the maf and check manifold vacuum and fuel pressure. It just feels a bit like the timing advance curve is wrong.. In the old school, I would adjust the vacuum advance..

hahahaha well the days of the distributor are long gone, especially the vacuum advance ones :)

the 95 block should run the same as the 91, I do not suspect your computer is at fault, rather something is a miss, likely something that happened during the conversion.

With no CEL I would think you got all the sensors correct.....which points us to a sprak/fuel issue instead.

Could it be something as simple as needing to drive it more, so that the computer can adjust to the new engine and get out of factory settings mode.. I appreciate the help. At least I know that it has nothing to do with the computer. I can put any problems down to the mechanic.. **cough**.. Next time I should get one.. LOL

Back