95 exploer 4r55e wont move after valave body replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 exploer 4r55e wont move after valave body replacement

jdm95civ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer sport
Bought a cheap explorer 4x4 ($250) Only would drive in 1st gear and you could manually shift to 2nd. Reverse wouldn't engage until 3500 rpm and flashing OD light. Ordered a rebuilt valve body installed very simple I thought went together great torqued to specs and put in 8 quarts of ATF. The flashing OD light is gone but now wont move in any gear.

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I think of when this happens after a valve body service.

Did you get the manual valve indexed to the linkage?

5r55e Manual valve.jpg

Thanks that's what it was. But still having the same issue have to rev to 3k for reverse dies in drive and 2nd goes in first and can manually shift into second. Maybe torque converter seems like it not allowing slip that's why it dies

Since it is still doing the same thing after replacing the valve body it would lead me to think the problems are inside the transmission, like the direct clutch and or something in the overdrive section, even a worn pump can cause issues like this. Time to get the transmission out and take it apart.

Back