• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer 4.0 swaping to 5.0

lcaruso818

Reaction score
City, State
fort mill, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer sport
ok so i have a few questions im swapping my 95 explorer sport 4.0 5spd to a 5.0 automatic. beofre i start on the swap i want to make sure i have everything i need to complete the swap. i have the motor wiring harness and computer. i got motor mounts on the way. Will the tranny bolt right up to the driveshaft or will it have to be changed? Will the 4.0 factory radiator work on the 5.0? Will any teaking need to be done to the engine bay for the motor to fit? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you get a 2WD trans? if not you need a 2WD tail housing or a transfer case (either a 4404 or 4406)

and you need 5.0 driveshafts for the 4404 and driveshafts mentioned in the documentation fro a 4406 mod

Your 4.0 transfercase (if its a 4WD) will not mate to the transmission (4R70w) on the 5.0.
If you want to have 4WD you will have to get the BW4406 (manual or electric versions available) or you can go All Wheel Drive, with the BW4404.
If the original truck (your 4.0) is 4WD the front driveshaft will need to be from a 5.0 as well.
If you have 2WD and want to stay that way, you will need the driveshaft (and transmission) from a 2WD 5.0 explorer, pretty sure you will need the 5.0 radiator as well. You will not need to tweak the engine bay at all.
Does this answer all the questions?

Ok so since the 4.0 is 2wd already and the 5.0 I'm putting in is out of a 2wd I still need to get a new driveshaft the factory one from the 4.0 will not work?

the main thing im worried about is the axle! can anyone give me as much info on that as they can why wont the 4.0 axle work?

Back