95 Explorer: intermittent Check Engine light, hesitation and stalling... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer: intermittent Check Engine light, hesitation and stalling...

dkaiser

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 95 Explorer is giving me some grief.

The Check Engine light has been on and off intermittently for a couple months now. Back in July, the Check Engine light was on, and my car seemed to hesitate on acceleration, and occasionally even stall. I could restart the car almost instantly, but the problem would persist. The morning after the car stalled, I took it to a repair place, and the Check Engine light was no longer on. $100 later, they said they could not help me because when they checked for codes, there was no problem, and they could find nothing wrong with the car.

So, the problem seemed to stop a few days later, and the Check Engine light was off most of the times. Just recently, it has started up again. The intermittent check engine light, he hesitation on acceleration, the stalling, etc. I took it to an AutoZone for them to check my codes, but they could get a reading from my car (even though the Check Engine light was on at this point).

I know very little about car maintenance and car lingo. But now I am just stumped, and do not want to throw more money into people telling me they can't fix my problem, let alone tell me what the problem is. Has anyone else seen or experienced the issues my car is having and have any ideas of how I go about getting this fixed? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have taken the 95 to the dealer and let them diagnose it for aprox $75. They WILL find the correct problem using software made for your year & model. Then it will be up to you to either walk away & have someone else do the repairs, or let them fix it.

Back