95 EXPLORER RED-Lining and O/D light Flashing?!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 EXPLORER RED-Lining and O/D light Flashing?!?!?

italianjeremy

Reaction score
City, State
dsfdfs.fsdfs
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
hey guys. new to the forum here. just had a question:

my O/D light came on 2 days ago on my 95 automatic 4x4 explorer xlt, and it is now flashing constanly. but HOLD ON! its not the normal problem when this happens. the car runs perfectly, EXCEPT that when i go from stop to go, the car stays in 1st gear and will go all the way to the rev limiter unless i let go of the gas pedal a couple inches, then itll shift properly to second or moslty third...but its still a pain. on the freeway, or ANYWHERE past 3rd gear, its fine. just went 200 miles today on freeway and drove good. its just having trouble selecting gears out of 1st. itll work fine if im on a flat road going grandma speed, but anything else, itll hold up in 1st until i let go of the gas to get it to shift. i reset the computer by unhooking the battery. took off the O/D light, but went 1/2 mile and still had problem come back and light back on. i checked the speed sensor like on many other forums, but the OHM reading was correct and my speedo is accurate. PLEASE HELP! im poor :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site it sounds like a re-build from what i hear about second gen transmisions and the infamous flashing o/d light

I've read of a few people that eliminated this problem by tranny fluid flush and new filter. I don't have a clue how this would cure the problem, unless it was something in the tranny sticking, and the new fluid degunked it or something.

You could also have a valve body problem. Read the 5R55E rebuild Diary in the sticky threads up top... you may find your problem in there and a possible solution.

thats exactly what my '95 xlt did before we brought it in...$1400 later and a full rebuild its all good..lol

the guy showed us some of the bands..they were all ate up.

well, ill read the threads , thanks. it seems that it WONT take a tranny rebuild to get my problem fixed, from reading stuff in other forums. i think it when this happens it pops out of gear, and jumbles like mad when at freeway speeds. everything in mine is fine. in fact, i am a delivery guy and i use this thing every day. no hard clunking switching gears. and i KNOW that when i go to the repair shop theyll say yeah tranny rebuild cus its more $$ and profit. i went to AUTOZONE and they said that since its a 95 and NOT a 96 and up, theyre computer wont pull the codes. and it didnt. they were right. anywhere i can go where they can pull em for free? if not, howm uch at a dealership?

You can check the codes yourself for free with a 95. All you have to do is jump two wires on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay and count how many times the check engine light flashes. The plug on the explorer is located near the power distribution box.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/ (for pic of plug)

Rob, i went to that site, and all it seems to have on that page is stuff for the villiager ,continental and some diesel vehicle. i guess i can go off the one thats labeled on the site:

"Using Check Engine/ MIL
Exc DI 7.3L Turbo Diesel, Merkur (2.9L), Villager & 85–88 2.3L Engine"

but how do i read the flashings? its kinda weird that connecting 2 terminals for 2 seconds , then reconnecting the harness, then turning car so cluster lights come on, will make the check engine flash but ill try. also, if you look at the 2 digit codes, they have like 3 resolutions for each number. guess i have to guess which one it is when i try. please help. on my jeep i had to read by a long light meant the number ten, and a short one was one. so if the light came on long, long, long then paused and then came on short, then short, it would be 32. same rules apply? i probably sound like a fool :(

i checked the fluid today in the dipstick after a 20 min drive. yeah, it looked like the right level, but man was there Gristle and crap on the rod by the fluid level. guess it needs a flush.

ok, find the plug under your hood, and then just jump that one lone connector beside the other one to the terminal in the picture. Do this while the ignition is off. Then once your aligator jumper is connected to the two plugs, go in the car and turn the ignition to on, not start. Now your check engine light will start to flash. Codes are three digits. Count the number of flashes for each digit. Example: flash-flash-pause-flash flash flash- pause - flash means code 231. The code will be repeated a couple of times. For the flashing transmission light, codes should be in the 600 to 700 range. Once you have all the proper numbers, go look them up on troublecodes.net or ask the possible causes on this forum.

Back