95 Explorer Trans Slip/ Stick Probs - Need Advise! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer Trans Slip/ Stick Probs - Need Advise!

ChiTownFord81

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I am new to this thread, but it seems like the perfect place to ask for advice. I have a 95 Ford Explorer XLT V6 AT with 220k miles. Bought it last week and all appeared ok for a high miles truck. All was well during test drive so I bought it and started to drive it home which was about an hour. About 30 min into my drive it began to appear to slip out of drive, rev as if in neutral then go back to drive. It also seems to start in 2 or 3 from a dead stop as well as make a minor "thud" when slowing to a stop when it goes to 1. This prob persists then disappears at times and once cooled, goes away almost completely til it warms up then starts to slip out again. Sometimes from a stop it also jerks a bit and hesitates to get into each gear but the major prob is at highway speed while at about 60-70. If I give it moderate gas, it slips to neutral unless I manually put it in 2 which causes no probs at all. Any suggestions? I have read that it could be a solenoid or the 3/4 clutch plates. Hoping it doesn't need a rebuilt trans or major repair because I have limited funds. I tried adding a trans treatment to no success. Levels seem a bit high but fluid is pretty clean. Going to drop a bit to see if that helps today.

Back