95 Explorer w/ Tranny problems, please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer w/ Tranny problems, please help!

98formulaLS1

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS
1. Which tranny do i have with a 1995 4.0L vin X? the 4R44E or 4R55E?

2. Heres a description of my symptoms. The car remains in nuetral while the shift indicator shows reverse and neutral. When in D,2, or 1, the vehicle drives forward, but never shifts out of first gear.

Can you faithful friends please help me decide the best course of action?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the 4R55E. It sounds like the shift linkage is out of alignment.

how would i go about checking the alignment of the shift linkage? if there an actual cable linkage? I thought it was electronic.

ok I will check the shift cable according to the factory service manual.

Assuming that the shift cable is aligned properly, what do you think might be the next cause for the vehicle only shifting into 1st gear, and not R, 2, 3, or OD.

BTW, the OD off light does not come on when i push the button.

Update:

The fuse for the backup lamps, 4x4, and O/D light was blown. Replaced the fuse, and the TRS tested OK.

Upon removal of tranny pan and inspection of valve body, I noticed that the metal bumps stop on the intermediate band has broken off, since I found it in the tranny pan. I am removing a donor 4R55E tomorrow morning and will completely replace my tranny.

What do you suppose I do with the bad tranny? keep the solenoids, valve body, and TRS, and scrap the rest?

gees anyone?

well I'm very very discouraged right now. I've been wrenching at my tranny for days now. My exhaust crossover pipe is rusted to the headers, and it's rusted to the cat. I have the transfer case out already, and I've got 3 bolts at the top of the tranny I can't get.

I'm just about ready to pay someone to finish this job. ahhhh!

well I'm very very discouraged right now. I've been wrenching at my tranny for days now. My exhaust crossover pipe is rusted to the headers, and it's rusted to the cat. I have the transfer case out already, and I've got 3 bolts at the top of the tranny I can't get.

I'm just about ready to pay someone to finish this job. ahhhh!

Take the crossmember out and lower the rear of the tranny down, you'll be able to get to the top bolts with a long extension.

Back