'95 Explorer: Water Leak From Unknown Part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 Explorer: Water Leak From Unknown Part

dpreyer

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer - EB
My 1995 Ford Explorer has a leak from a part that I have no idea what it is. I've done all the maintenance on my Explorer since 1995 and have never had to deal with this part. In an attempt to get this truck road worthy again, I need to know what this part so I can replace it.

This part is located on the passenger side. The picture that shows water coming out was taken while the engine was running. The picture with just a drop of water at one of the holes was taken after I turned the engine off.

Can someone tell me what this part is called? Let me know if these pictures are enough to identify the part. I can take more if needed.

95-Ford-Explorer-Part-1a.jpg

Explorer-Part-1b.jpg

Thank you!!!

95-Ford-Explorer-Part-1a.jpg

Explorer-Part-1b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your pictures are not showing....

So it's dripping down on your oil filter....a quick guess would be leaking freeze plug...not only possibly a block freeze plug but our heads have freeze plugs in the back....which would place it very close to your oil filter trickle down... time for some K-seal ! :) ....but with that big of a leak I doubt that would work....
Our heater core hoses are above that area but I'm sure you would've noticed one of them leaking if it were the case.....

So it's dripping down on your oil filter....a quick guess would be leaking freeze plug... I'll take a peak at my 95 for better guestimate ....

That is actually not the oil filter. The oil filer is in another location. This part is mounted horizontally where the oil filter is mounted vertically.

If you look at the picture with the stream of water pouring out, you will see that that is the source of the leak. The oil seen in the picture is another issue that I am working on.

EB4X - My sincere apologies.
if it is pouring out the bottom it is vertical and looks like the oil filter to me.

My apologize to everyone who have read this post. I just went back out to look at this part again (not with the camera view) and it is the oil filter. The orientation of the picture made this part look like it was horizontal and not vertical. Plus, I could not understand how water could be coming out of the oil filter.

So, this brings up a new question. How is water coming out of the oil filter and what does this mean? I pulled the oil dip stick out to see if the oil was milky or if it looked like there was water mixed in and the oil looks normal. Old but normal.

Any ideas?

Man I hope it is coming down around the oil filter. If it's dripping out of the filter you have a hole in your oil filter, and that is the least of the problems.

So, hmmm, could be a freeze plug, heater hoses, heater bypass valve, or possibly heater core leaking?

why is it just water though--it should be green with coolant. no anitfreeze? cracked block?

Running straight water....especially tap will deteriorate freeze plugs......not to rub anything in here......

The antifreeze drained out prior to the picture. I had been running water through it to try and identify all possible leaks. The radiator will lose about a gallon of water in about two or three minutes.

There are two holes in the oil filter. One larger than the other. In the bottom picture in my post above, you can see a fairly large stream of water coming out of the oil filter. There's a smaller stream just above it. It's more of a spray than a stream.

Is it normal for water to be flowing in an oil filter? I didn't think this was normal. I'm starting to think replacing the oil filter might not be the end of this problem.

Running straight water....especially tap will deteriorate freeze plugs......not to rub anything in here......

I agree. I just needed water to flow through the system to troubleshoot. I knew the antifreeze would be all gone in minutes.

Another question has come to mind while outside looking things over. Only water is coming out of the hole in the oil filter and no oil. The oil level is normal on the dip stick so I'm not loosing oil out of the holes.

What can be concluded from this?

If water is spraying from a hole in your oil filter, you need a new engine. I'm not kidding. wrap it up.

Wow! I was hoping there was a better outcome. Thanks for your reply Jon. Looks like this Explorer has finally reached its end of life.

First things first. Remove the oil filter, and drain the oil.

First things first. Remove the oil filter, and drain the oil.

My thoughts were to drain the oil, replace the oil filter and then add new oil. However, if Jon's post is the true fate of my Explorer, then that seems like a waste of time and money. I don't mind putting in the time but to waste money on oil and an oil filter one a truck with a dead engine does not sound wise.

I am willing to take a chance and replacing the oil filter and adding new oil if there is even the slightest chance that the engine isn't a total loss.

Drain the oil. If there is any appreciable amount of water it’ll be obvious. If you are losing a gallon in a few minutes you will remove way too much.

Its time to stop and take a step back. I have a few problems with the series of events here.

1) If you cannot identify an oil filter you probably should not be working on your own vehicle.
2) If water is pouring out of said oil filter and you continue to run the vehicle you should probably not be working on your own vehicle.
3)If you have "done all the maintenance on my Explorer since 1995 and have never had to deal with this part" (oil filter) maybe you shouldn't be working on your own vehicle.

Its probably a freeze plug or extreme head gasket leak dripping water down around the filter if the oil level is not going lower.

Its time to stop and take a step back. I have a few problems with the series of events here.

1) If you cannot identify an oil filter you probably should not be working on your own vehicle.
2) If water is pouring out of said oil filter and you continue to run the vehicle you should probably not be working on your own vehicle.
3)If you have "done all the maintenance on my Explorer since 1995 and have never had to deal with this part" (oil filter) maybe you shouldn't be working on your own vehicle.

Its probably a freeze plug or extreme head gasket leak dripping water down around the filter if the oil level is not going lower.

I totally understand your reply. However, in my lame defense, I initially thought it was the oil filter but based on the pictures, I could not understand why pure, clear water was coming out and not oil or milky water/oil. That's when I thought it was another part. Then the orientation of the "part" in the picture added to my change from the oil filter to the "unknown part." I must add that I took those pictures at night with the light on my phone. I had to reach under the truck from the side and not under it enough to see that part.

I have successfully worked on my truck over the years. I am by no means a professional auto mechanic but I have replaced many parts, to include many oil changes.

I will admit that I should have crawled under the truck, as I did this afternoon, during daylight hours and got a better look. Also, when I took those pictures, the truck was running on the fist one and I didn't want to get too close to the water draining out.

Anyway, I know where you are coming from and I know where my limits are with the maintenance of this truck. The water coming out of the oil filter, as explained above, is outside of my knowledge base so, other than trying the oil change route, there's not much else I know what to do. If Jon's reply is the true end of this truck, then that's the end.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is losing that much water running the engine is only doing damage. Take a good look at the freeze plugs, heater core, and connecting lines in the daylight before starting the engine back up. As others have said pull the oil filter off and verify if it has a hole or is just leaking around the filter.

At no point should you continue to run the vehicle until you figure out what is going on.

Back