95 Explorer with an automatic headlight problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer with an automatic headlight problem.

ok i couldnt figure how to post this thread under headlight problems so first someone help me wit that please an thank

My other problem is that my girlfriend has a 95 explorer 4.0 sohc the mechanic she has been bringing it to does that half butt deal an it seems to have another problem when it comes back from their, Anyways the truck has automatic headlights i have gone over the fuses an everyone is good but i do not know were the exact fuse is for the automatic headlights an maybe it being a rely but i also need help knowing were the sensor is for this thing is at little help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the DRL (Day Run Lamps) are programmed into the PCM. There is no fuse. At least that's how it is on my 07 Taurus.

The sensor is on the back of the mirror up against the windshield.

(Its not built into the MIRROR itself, but its right behind it)

This may be silly answer and I'm not trying to be an a-hole here the only reason I mention it is because I had done it. My 01 has an automatic setting on the headlight switch and that's where I leave it. I loaned my Explorer to my brother one day and he had turned the headlights off with the switch. So when I drove it to work the next night no headlights and I couldn't figure out why till it dawned on me to ck the switch. Seems like I always overlook the little things. Anyway Good luck and BrianDye is right the sensor is behind the mirror against the windshield.

The year he has (And I had) have the automatic/delayed headlamp controls built into the mirror. So if "auto" is on on the mirror, then they will come on at dusk/off at dawn (etc) unless we override it by pressing the button on the mirror to turn it off, OR turning them on with the switch.

Our switch only has off, parking, and headlights.

thank you very much now i feel like a dumba$$, like i said it is my girlfriends truck i drove it the other day to do a test on the ac at my buddy's shop an i guess either she or i touch the on off switch for the auto headlights an that is why i did not know tho that was the switch for the auto headlights im use to the auto headlights being on the knob you just turn it to the left (well thats how my F-150 was) but like i said i appreciate the help so much i of all people couldn't figure it out an i have work on cars since i could walk but hey you learn something new everyday

just also want to say i really enjoy an thank this site it has helped me out a lot wit simple problems that i could not figure out

also does anyone know about a chip for the 5.0 explorers i have a 99 crew cab ranger that i have swapped the awd system an the 5.0 motor out of the explorer an put it into this ranger its pretty quick but like everyone knows the computer has been set for a truck not a hot rod need a little help with finding a chip for it an the only way i have found in doing this is taking it to someone that can dino an set the pcm for what it needs an you don't want to know the price on that one

thanks, dillon

thank you very much now i feel like a dumba$$, like i said it is my girlfriends truck i drove it the other day to do a test on the ac at my buddy's shop an i guess either she or i touch the on off switch for the auto headlights an that is why i did not know tho that was the switch for the auto headlights im use to the auto headlights being on the knob you just turn it to the left (well thats how my F-150 was) but like i said i appreciate the help so much i of all people couldn't figure it out an i have work on cars since i could walk but hey you learn something new everyday

just also want to say i really enjoy an thank this site it has helped me out a lot wit simple problems that i could not figure out

also does anyone know about a chip for the 5.0 explorers i have a 99 crew cab ranger that i have swapped the awd system an the 5.0 motor out of the explorer an put it into this ranger its pretty quick but like everyone knows the computer has been set for a truck not a hot rod need a little help with finding a chip for it an the only way i have found in doing this is taking it to someone that can dino an set the pcm for what it needs an you don't want to know the price on that one

thanks, dillon

Glad we could help! But dont feel dumb man, I dont care for the fact that the auto headlamp controls are on the mirror, it makes no sense to me but hey, what can ya do!

But as for a chip, havent seen much about a chip, you might be thinking about a "tune?" Do a search for tunes and you'll learn alot about them, very common for the 5.0's. I believe theres a member on here who even writes the codes for them? I might be wrong but im sure someone with more knowledge will chirp in man.

That's teamwork right there :chug: I throw the switch out there and BrianDye points you to it. Sweet. As for feeling like a dumb:censored: don't worry I feel like that all the time. Like I mentioned in my earlier post the only reason I thought of it was because I done it. Glad it worked. Ok as for chips I know Jet makes a performance module for the 5.0 Explorer and SCT and HyperTech both make programmers. You may also want to ck with Diablo Sport I think they used to make a programmer for it. Good Luck and happy hunting. :burnout:

Back