95 explorer xlt overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer xlt overheating

ryanriot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer xlt
hello im having problems with my xlt, when its idling the temp stays under the half way mark, how ever when i start driving it jumps to the half way mark and goes almost to over heating, but as soon as i let off the gas pedal it drops back down to under the half way mark. Any idea what is causing this? I just replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and flushed the radiator and bled the coolant system today but I am still having this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As fast as you suggest the temps are changing, I'd suspect the gauges temp sensor, the wiring for the gauge or the gauge itself.

As fast as you suggest the temps are changing, I'd suspect the gauges temp sensor, the wiring for the gauge or the gauge itself.

yeah, its changing quickly. Once I get on the pedal to get up the speed the temp rises, and as soon as the pedal is released it starts to drop. is there any way to check any of those without replacing them?

A scan tool will give you the ECT sensor reading, which you can compare against the data from the temp gauge sensor.

ok i got the needle to stop being ridiculous by bleeding the radiator again, still had some air in the system. But now its staying about 1/4 the way up then it will raise to the half way point and drop back down to 1/4, any ideas what is causing this? i read it could be a coolant temp sender but i have no idea where thats located. I couldnt find a pic of its location online

Back